• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banned thread from ATS: "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY"

147 posts in this topic

It's one thing for a website owner (PCGS) to tell you how to use their site, and what rules to obey. That's fair. But what's rancid about the Don Willis thread is that he is telling folks how to user their own browser. That's just plain crazy.

Lots of people in rural areas are still on 56K dialup modems and on top of that, often have to pay per-minute toll call fees to the phone company, or use their ISP 800 numbers, which also is billed per minute. Requiring these people to pay to receive ads is going to be a real burden for those people.

PCGS also has ads served by Google, which PCGS does not control. There were some very offensive political ads showing up on the PCGS site before the last elections, which slipped through because they were coded as "buying gold" but also mentioned "dropping a bomb" on the White House.

Frank your 20 years as PCGS dealer leads me to believe that distortion of the facts may be understandable. I hope this not true and you only miss read the post as it winds its way though all sorts of question about the ATS new rules and..........

The 12 slabs James has are of two types one graded by PCGS that I submitted raw and undipped giving them permission to do so, which they did .

The other type are pr70dcams I bought slabbed.

The coins Frank is referring to are coins that I submitted for resubmission guarantee that where dipped without my permission...Those coins have been and are continually graded by only by world class graders not affiliated now with any TPG. And have not been sent to James

Shall be all cool our jets until James has time to evaluate and report back...

I have been to the Post Office every day, but no kidding, they are slow right now. I've mailed a couple of packages out myself that took one or two days more than expected to arrive. For that matter, some batteries I ordered off of Amazon are at least three days late. So in short, I'll keep hitting the PO until Grade-It's coins arrive!

The weird thing is, I believe deliveries are quicker during the "busy season" (holidays).

Knowing the package was in the vicinity, I went ahead and took an extendo-lunch, and hit the post office. Sure enough, it has arrived. I'm still at work, though. I won't open it until this evening, but will keep it with me at all times.

My goal is to have something posted by tomorrow. I will start a new thread, however.

This is quite possibly the worst thread in the history of the NGC chatroom. Sigh

The entertainment value out weighs, or should I say defy logic.

James, that was a new one on me as well. I must say, the recent revelations with regards to what PCGS and NGC do with bulk submissions is appalling at best. I have recognized the fact that within the last 10 years, the market is being flooded with encapsulated coins by the top two authenticating companies, which are horribly over-graded . I have seen these coins mostly being offered in the Heritage auctions.

For that reason, after some 25 years of doing business with them , I am closing my account .

With the advent of Bowers/Stacks Auction's , and Goldberg Coins , they will be my primary source's for my Numismatic purchases .

I have never made a single purchase from either of those two firms , which I was unsatisfied with . It's sad to see Heritage be a dumping ground in the shadow of EBAY .

It turns out I will have a busy day today - non-coin related. However, I got up very early this morning and have imaged and briefly examined all of grade_it's coins. In my opinion, his case does have some significant merit.

PCGS has their stance, I am sure, and grade_it has his stance regarding a level of incompetence. I suspect that, as usual, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

I should have time this evening to post formal results. Sorry to be such a tease at the moment, but I simply have to get a few necessary chores done today.

This is quite possibly the worst thread in the history of the NGC chatroom. Sigh

I agree: There should be no need for such a post to begin with!!! Of course it started on ATS. Only to be deleted there and carried here.

So, who is forcing you guys to read this thread or to even open this thread? I see many threads on both forums that I have no interest in and it's easy to just ignore them.

For the record, I have most ads blocked, but I do go ahead and let the banner ads through on the NGC site. Those are the ones in the upper right hand corner, and they aren't distracting and obnoxious. Heck, the absurd level of unwanted ads is easily THE biggest reason I use FireFox. Nobody, nohow, is going to tell me I have to be annoyed with stupid, glaring advertisements. I would rather not visit a site than put up with it.

Getting my daily eBay jab in, the ads that they began popping up on their site a couple of years ago was one more piled on reason that I stopped selling there.

I'll decide when I want to be annoyed by advertisments!!!!!!!

WHICH IS BASICALLY NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

James, Thank your for expressing my sentiments as well ! What a bunch of B.S. !!!

It turns out I will have a busy day today - non-coin related.

I should have time this evening to post formal results. Sorry to be such a tease at the moment, but I simply have to get a few necessary chores done today.

James, this is like going to the Jiggly Room only to find out the dancers are wearing pasties. Take the pasties off and show us some coins!

I have absolutely no doubt, that James will confirm the "damaged goods" being encapsulated and represented as something THEY ARE NOT , right out of the graders room. This is NOT an isolated incidence . Than they ( PCGS/CU ) find every excuse under the sun to not follow through are their customer guarantee . I'm thrilled that this is finally becoming a wide spread concern for collectors and dealers alike.

I have absolutely no doubt, that James will confirm the "damaged goods" being encapsulated and represented as something THEY ARE NOT , right out of the graders room. This is NOT an isolated incidence . Than they ( PCGS/CU ) find every excuse under the sun to not follow through are their customer guarantee . I'm thrilled that this is finally becoming a wide spread concern for collectors and dealers alike.

If it pans out.

James in order to see the hairlines a 10 x loupe must be used I use a 10X microscope If you have a microscope please try that or use a 10X loop full light is very important...

You will see a world of difference under those criteria.

Thanks Steve

Definition: Hairlines are thin, incuse (sunken in), tiny little scratches on the surface or devices of a coin, usually caused by slider marks or cleaning. They are readily visible under 10x magnification and good light, and detract from the value of high-grade coins.

James in order to see the hairlines a 10 x loupe must be used I use a 10X microscope .

Well maybe that's the problem since the graders don't use magnification except to determine 70's. (If they haven't changed the definition, to be a 70 it has to show no defects under 5X magnification..)