• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 NEW PENNY PURCHASES - 1871 IHC, 1914-D LINCOLN

6 posts in this topic

HEY ALL

these are my 2 new coins going to my collection.

any thoughts/opinions on them are appreciated.. thank you!

#1 - 1914-D Lincoln cent (bought for $240)

scan0008-1.jpg

scan0007.jpg

#2 - 1871 indian head cent (bought for $305)

scan0001-11.jpg

scan0003-7.jpg

** i've included the prices i paid for these 2. this is only cause i want to know if you think these are fair. i'm not trying, in no way, to sell it on this board. they are NOT for sale.

please let me know if you think the prices i paid are fair, as these were bought from a coin dealer i started buying from not too long ago. thank you!

VG10 money for '14-D. I don't see that coin as VG. Looks G06 to me, so it was a bit high. Also, is the white spec in the lapel or on the 2x2? ( I assume it's on the 2x2 but let's be certain)

The IHC looks VF35 or XF40 and was a better buy - watch the verdigris though. The combined price for the 2 pieces sounds fair but honestly you should be able to do better on raw pieces.

If the Lincoln slabbed VG8 and the IHC XF40 you'd be in great shape, but they both look a hair under that to me.

My guesses are VG-8, and EF-40.

Actually, I think the 1914-D does indeed have a shot at VG-10. Just a square millimeter of wheat lines on the left need to be fully separated for "fine" consideration.

You most likely overpaid for both coins, more so on the 1914-D. The 1914- D looks to maybe VG , the Indian may have a shot at XF but it has Verdigris( not the worst thing that can happen to copper and usually it won’t put the coin in a details holder) . You can get a Certified 1914 – D in F12 for around $270, and an XF 40 1871 for about $ 300 .

You most likely overpaid for both coins, more so on the 1914-D. The 1914- D looks to maybe VG , the Indian may have a shot at XF but it has Verdigris( not the worst thing that can happen to copper and usually it won’t put the coin in a details holder) . You can get a Certified 1914 – D in F12 for around $270, and an XF 40 1871 for about $ 300 .

I concur with Mark's assessment. I picked up a 1914-D certified (granted it was only ICG certified, but the grading was accurate in that instance) in F12 for $210 a couple of months back. I think you overpaid for both coins.

Hi, I was looking at some old g/vg IHCs, Flying Eagle pennies some nice dealer gave me years ago and noticed they have Chinese chopmarks on a few.. Any added value? George