• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don’t mess with Hard Times Token collectors... Or Else!

5 posts in this topic

Here’s a story I read a couple years ago by QDB on page 14 of the Dice & Hicks 2008 Stack’s auction catalog.

Enjoy! :P

“In the mid 20th century Hard Times Tokens became a passion the passion for many leading numismatists, with John J. Ford, Jr. and Donald Miller perhaps being the best known. At a memorable New Netherlands auction in the 1950’s a collection of Hard Times Tokens was scheduled to cross the auction block, including rare varieties of Low-1, with the portrait of Jackson. A catalog was prepared by Walter Breen and John Ford of New Netherlands Coin Company, of which Ford was co-owner. The sale was held on the rooftop facility of the New Weston Hotel in New York City, in an assembly room, next to which there was a bar. Miller well lubricated an with a fighting spirit, was set to capture a number of rarities for his own account, while Ford made it known that he was going to be the leading buyer. On the terrace near the bar Miller grabbed Ford and pushed him partially over the railing, high above the streets below. The present writer (QDB) and another bystander grabbed Miller and pulled him away, much to Ford’s relief. Others rushed to hold Miller, and eventually calmed down. The sale proceeded, and record prices where set.”

Although I have a rather pedestrian example of Low 1, I didn’t need to get into a fist fight to acquire it. :kidaround:

There are several variations Low 1. Mine is the most common, "aged head" sub-variety.

Low1Obv.jpgLow1Rev.jpg

In conversations with collectors from the past generation, I can understand why John Ford was the sort of guy you might have wanted to punch out now and then. He was one of those "sharp traders" who would beat you in a deal if you were not on your toes.

In conversations with collectors from the past generation, I can understand why John Ford was the sort of guy you might have wanted to punch out now and then. He was one of those "sharp traders" who would beat you in a deal if you were not on your toes.

I've been meaning to speak with QDB at a show as from what I'm getting from reading about Ford in all of QDB's writings in B&M's old 1980-1990's Rare Coin Reviews... Ford didn't like competition on anything he collected? As he had somewhat sarcastic pet names for all the other HTT collectors. I can't recall exactly what he was quoted on calling Gilbert Steinberg without locating the issue, but it was something like "Why don't you go see if "Fancypants" Steinberg knows anything about it?".

Having met Gilbert Steinberg from my membership at the New Jersey Numismatic Society many years ago, I don't think that he would have enjoyed a nickname like "fancy pants."