• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on this peace dollar.

13 posts in this topic

I recently came across this peace dollar at my local shop. While i know that it is not worth much over spot, I was wondering what your opinions would be on its condition. Peace dollars are my favorite coins, yet I find them to be incredibly difficult to grade. This is in an old Anacs holder and I believe it is overgraded.

Also,Please excuse the poor pictures as I have not found the proper setup yet.

2mgjg5t.jpg

23vduys.jpg

Edit:the grade anacs gave it is an MS64. The luster does look much nicer than the pictures.

welcome to the boards!

i would guess MS62 but picture is not very clear.. is that a hit on the rim on obverse between 2 and 8? and spot at 9 o'clock on reverse?

i am going with a MS64+ very good strike, clean fields, i cannot tell if it is the lighting or there are a couple marks on the cheek. The reverse appears to lack detail, but i think its only the lighting. I think this coin probably looks better in hand than these photos.

Thank you guys for all of your input! I am trying to put together a grading set of peace dollars in hopes of being able to be confident in buying raw examples. Thats why I was wondering if the coin was accurately graded.

You have to remember two things when it comes to the grade a TPG has given a coin:

1. Grading is subjective

2. The TPG is giving their opinion and it's not 100% guaranteed

The TPG's opinion on your Peace is MS64; however, as you can see some here think the grade to be MS63, as well as others with their opinions above and below the TPG's grade on this coin.

This Peace Dollar is a solid MS64. I agree with ANACS. BTW your pics are good. Better than most of my pics.

You have a very good strike on the Obverse and an above average strike on the Reverse for this date. There are a few minor hits in focal areas that do not detract that much from the overall grade.Secondary areas are clear.

Nice coin. Good luck in your Peace Dollar collecting.

$ilverHawk