• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help please! weird coloration / stain on my NGC GRADED peace dollar + scratch

19 posts in this topic

hey guys

this is one 1925 peace dollar from my collection

it's been graded by NGC as MS-XX (very high) but now has this coloration or stain (i really don't know what that is) on it that makes it look weird and not appealing (some people would say ugly).

i was thinking of submitting to NGC for Appearance Review, and just thought i might get a second opinion before doing so.. so here it is

OBV-1.jpg

and the reverse:

REV-2.jpg

i tried to catch the best angle to show the color on it, i hope it shows here:

DSC03138.jpg

another one:

DSC03139.jpg

and one more:

DSC03141.jpg

i'm not sure what that is..

one more thing. the coin has a kinda large scratch on liberty's cheek and a couple of small ones on the face.. i thought that should prevent it from getting that high a grade.. take a look:

DSC03138-Copy.jpg

i did not post the actual grade.. what do you think is the highest grade possible for this coin? then i can see if i should or should not submit it for review..

i will reveal the actual grade later..

and do you know what that stain might be? obviously it happened after the coin was slabbed...

again, thank you so much for your help!

johnny

Those marks you point out are minor on a coin of that size, and would be acceptable even up through MS-66, possibly higher! And the stain doesn't look very distracting to me for a coin that was minted in huge quantities and had many individual coins that failed to be improperly rinsed. So I could easily see this as MS-65 or 66.

Even in the smaller picture, the scratch is conspicuous and distracting, so I don't think the coin should grade higher than 65. Still, if the rest of the surfaces are mark-free, an MS66 wouldn't shock me.

The stain looks like the result of a coin that was dipped and not rinsed/neutralized properly, afterwards.

While the stain might be new, the scratch was obviously there when you acquired the coin - I am curious as to why you still bought it, especially, since you say the coin is in a high grade holder?

hey mark

the truth is, i bought the coin on ebay long time ago, and the scratch didn't look that bad on the image the seller provided.

when i got the coin i did see the scratch and was upset, but honestly it was a great deal and i made the mistake and didn't return it.

thanks for your input guys

the grade on the holder, believe it or not, is MS66

OBV-2.jpg

i know for sure the stain was there when it was submitted to grading, cause the coin has a digital image on NGC that shows the stain. not that big and dark maybe, but there alright.

the scratches were there as well, and for some reason did not hurt the grade.

the reason why i kept the coin and did not send it back is the price.. between the low price + ebay 2% cashback + Bing 8% cashback i got it for about 25% off the greysheet's BID PRICE :takeit:.

do you guys think i should send it to be regraded or just keep it in the current holder? hm

there is no way it is going higher than a 66, it looks to be dull in color and has a couple marks. I don't want to be disrespectful but i find it to be pretty ugly for a 1925 as most are very bright and lusterous.

I sure don't like it as a 66, but not many would. Still seems acceptable for a 65 though. The fields are clean and the marks are minimal to me. The biggest issue is the lack of luster. I would expect strong luster on a 66 and don't see it.

Are you looking for money back?

thanks for your input guys

the grade on the holder, believe it or not, is MS66

OBV-2.jpg

i know for sure the stain was there when it was submitted to grading, cause the coin has a digital image on NGC that shows the stain. not that big and dark maybe, but there alright.

the scratches were there as well, and for some reason did not hurt the grade.

the reason why i kept the coin and did not send it back is the price.. between the low price + ebay 2% cashback + Bing 8% cashback i got it for about 25% off the greysheet's BID PRICE :takeit:.

do you guys think i should send it to be regraded or just keep it in the current holder? hm

Why not send it in for the appearance review to see if NGC will do a buy back?

there is no way it is going higher than a 66, it looks to be dull in color and has a couple marks. I don't want to be disrespectful but i find it to be pretty ugly for a 1925 as most are very bright and lusterous.

of course not higher, i was going to send it to be reviewed and get money back / exchange if downgraded

@ fishyone, coinman

that's exactly what i was going to do

just wanted to get a second opinion before i send it, just to see if it's just me or it really does seem like it was over-graded.

the difference in price is HUGE between MS65 and 66 for this one (500%)

It looks like the NGC grade agrees with my assessment above. That scratch appears to be overemphasized in some of those images, because the lighting is directly above the portrait, at ninety degrees to the direction of the scratch. Such a lighting arrangement will accentuate the scratch itself by casting direct light on one edge, and placing the other edge in shadow.

If the image had been taken with light shining more-or-less parallel to the scratch, I bet everyone on here would think the coin was conservatively graded!

Taking into account the proportion of the scratch to the size of the coin, I still consider it only a minor hit in the primary focal area -- perfectly acceptable at the MS-66 level. I do not think NGC will change the grade on this coin.

If the image had been taken with light shining more-or-less parallel to the scratch, I bet everyone on here would think the coin was conservatively graded!

As phrased, that would be an extremely foolish bet on your part. ;)

As phrased, that would be an extremely foolish bet on your part. ;)

You don't know what I'm betting lol !

@ fishyone, coinman

that's exactly what i was going to do

just wanted to get a second opinion before i send it, just to see if it's just me or it really does seem like it was over-graded.

the difference in price is HUGE between MS65 and 66 for this one (500%)

I'm not saying that the grade will change per se; rather, the NGC buy back program extends to coins that have unsightly and unmarketable toning, etc. or at least that's what I recall reading somewhere on the NGC website within the last year or so (this may have changed). Furthermore, I think the stain is the result of some left over dip residue. NGC should buy the coin back for this reason alone.

i am taking a guess here

you send it in for appearance review and ngc will send the coin to ncs themselves and after the conservation;; regrade it most likely 66 and send the coin back to you as such

let me know waht happens

good luck

i am taking a guess here

you send it in for appearance review and ngc will send the coin to ncs themselves and after the conservation;; regrade it most likely 66 and send the coin back to you as such

let me know waht happens

good luck

I'd be satisfied with that. I'd then slap the coin on eBay and purchase a higher end MS66.