• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Couple More Beauties on the Way to NGC for a Fresh Look posted by J Lloyd Young

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These two registry quality coins are sorely needed in my

set ...as I get closer to the finish line ........

Here are the last two slabbed quarters I have dug up to send off to NGC along with the aforementioned 1932-P . The coin on the left is a 1939-D 25 cent graded MS-70 by SGS ( no that's not a joke but it could be ) the coin on the right a 1942-S MS-65 by ANACS . Looking both coins over together I am going to " place my bets " that the 39-D will come back as an MS-64 ( it's borderline MS-65 though ) and the 42-S will definately come back as an MS-65 ( it's a very solid coin ). I could write 10,000 words on the demerits of SGS's relative grading but suffice to say on the positive that there ARE indeed some nic coins in SGS slabs ...they just are not

perfect 70's . This 1939-D was purchased at a very decent price

some time ago with the hopes that it would grade atleast in the mid 60's and it appears it will .

To round out my set my 1932-D , 32-S , 34-D , 36-D , 37-D , 37-S and 50-D/S as well as 50-S/D are all raw coins that will be sent in after these slabbed ones return . The goal is to have the set finished sometime 1st quarter 2011 at the latest . Like everyone else I have a budget and mine is pretty tight at the moment so I have to plan well ahead of the curve .

The only other slabbed quarter going in with this batch is the

1952 Proof in my proof registry that currently resides in an old PCGS holder and is actually a Superbird variety ....and slightly undergraded as well IMO . Getting this quarter back in an NGC holder with the proper attribution will be worth quite a few extra points .

Next year I want to focus on Peace Silver Dollars ( the set is complete it needs to be sent to NGC as my budget allows ) and Morgan Silver Dollars ( no I don't have them all but I have quite a few and all the tough dates except the 93-S ) .

Thanks for reading and the best to you in your collecting goals .

7851.JPG

See more journals by J Lloyd Young