• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CAC evaluate GSA coins that have been graded by NGC?

25 posts in this topic

cac only will look at and possibly sticker coins in the sonically sealed ngc holders with a stated grade on the holder

in other words no net graded holders

so no................ a gsa govt issue holder with the banded ngc grade cac will not consider at this time for a cac

but yes cac will consider gsa morgan dollars for the green bean as long as the gsa coin is in a sonically sealed graded ngc white holder in other words yoy have had to break the gas coin out of its original govt holder and submit to ngc if it comes back in a white sonically sealed graded holder then cac will consider it for the sticker

hopes this answers your question in a round about way

cac only will look at and possibly sticker coins in the sonically sealed ngc holders with a stated grade on the holder

so no................ a gsa govt issue holder with the banded ngc grade cac will not consider at this time for a cac

but yes cac will consider gsa morgan dollars for the green bean as long as the gsa coin is in a sonically sealed graded ngc white holder in other words yoy have had to break the gas coin out of its original govt holder and submit to ngc if it comes back in a white sonically sealed graded holder then cac will consider it for the sticker

Once it's cracked out of its GSA government holder, is it still really a GSA coin?

Thanks for the response guys. The coin I was thinking of having evaluated currently resides in its NGC banded GSA holder with an assigned grade of MS64 * . I believe the coin has a shot at MS65PL and it sports gorgeous obverse toning to boot. Those features are probably what merits the Star designation it received but I still feel it is a grade and a PL designation short.

Here are some pics shot by Bob Campbell, please excuse the holder as it causes the reverse to look scuffed/scraped up, which it is not.

sfyw76.jpg

jr4siq.jpg

Once it's cracked out of its GSA government holder, is it still really a GSA coin?

it is still a gsa coin .................. if it came from the gsa govt hoard it is always a gsa coin whether the ultimate buyer knows it or not

for example 99%+ of 1884-cc ms morgan graded by pcgs or ngc in their sonically sealed holders pl, non pl, dmpl 99% of the time came from the gsa hoard whether it says on the sonically grading service holder or not

I have sumitted several GSa dollars to CAC and have recieved stickers.

Graded in the original GSA case, with the certification on the 'wrap-around' band, or in a sonically sealed holder???

Michael, you are technically correct in saying a cracked out GSA is still a GSA (if so noted on the slab). I think you know most GSA collectors recognize and accept GSA coins only if they are in their OGH. And that is why we will pay a premium. It's the coin and the holder which sets them apart. Certainly not the standard way of coin collecting but it is what it is.

Yes, I am a GSA purest. Saying that, I have no interest in GSA coins which have been re-slabbed. To me, they are just another Morgan Dollar (and do not collect them either)..Have a great week!

Chet

Not true. I have a 1882-CC MS65 in the GSA holder graded MS65 by NGC with a CAC Green sticker. Serial number 452136-001. You can verify it on the CAC web site.

I'll post pics later.

$ilverHawk

wow i did not know that cac stickered the gsa holders with the ngc band around them

well good for cac

ironic that i think ngc doesnot guarantee the grade for gsa ngc banded coins

I agree. It seems that with all the new technology NGC could come up with a way to seal the GSA holders. Sonically, chemically, whatever.

It's always troubled me that there is a disclaimer attached to GSA slabs graded by NGC. After all, NGC goes to the trouble of placing a wrap around band and a holographic sticker at the top of the slab. Why not find a way to securely seal the slab to insure the integrity of the grading process.

$ilverHawk

The problem is not that the GSA holder is not sealed, because it IS sonicly sealed. NGC does not guarantee the grade because they are unable to physically examine the coin in hand and they have to do the grading through the plastic holder.

It really is, but perception is reality.

It is still a "GSA coin", but it is NOT a "GSA coin in original mint packaging", and the latter is what many astute collectors care about.

I suggest to folks all the time, DO NOT buy slabs that merely state "GSA", but only buy GSA dollars in the original mint packaging (and graded by NGC if so desired).

Interesting point. But I don't buy that arguement. Slab in hand or coin in hand, I don't see how a slab would interfere with a numismatic evaluation. We as collectors do it all the time.

Slabs do not prevent CAC from evaluating a coin. When you send in a coin for regrade does NGC or PCGS crack it out before their evaluation? No, they judge the coin in the holder.

There is no logical reason for the NGC disclaimer for GSA holdered coins if the only arguement is that they need to examine the coin physically.

$ilverHawk

My coins are in the original GSA holders and graded by NGC and also CAC

I didn't know that CAC graded coins.

Yes you did. Despite what you wrote, you surely understand that CAC must, in essence, grade coins in order to arrive at a decison whether to sticker them.

My coins are in the original GSA holders and graded by NGC and also CAC

I didn't know that CAC graded coins.

Yes you did. Despite what you wrote, you surely understand that CAC must, in essence, grade coins in order to arrive at a decison whether to sticker them.

I was specifically thinking about the gold stickers which only tell us that the coin is undergraded. Is it undergraded by one grade or two grades? They may grade these coins in their own mind but they don't tell us what grade they should be.

You may not buy the argument but it is their argument.

CAC has little down side. If you send a CAC coin back in and it doesn't upgrade CAC doesn't pay you for it. If it downgrades the TPG not CAC makes it right. And yes the TPG do their initial valuation on crossovers through the slab on crossovers and maybe regrades through the slab, but then sometimes after they crack them out they change their minds as well