• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check this Indian out....

11 posts in this topic

Wow.

I am curious about this one too. I really have nothing to speak of in the way of IHC or FEC...but I love them and spend a lot of time reading up on varieties, errors, etc...and I can say that I have NEVER seen this coin.

Good eye eBay scout!! smile.gif

S

The coin (J208) is a relatively common pattern coin that makes a great addition to the Indian cent collection. It is also a component of the 12 piece 1858 small cent pattern set (actually 11 patterns plus the regular issue SL Flying Eagle cent) These pattern designs covered the transition from the Flying Eagle design to the Indian Head. Here is a larger image laugh.gif

208.jpg

Thanks for the compliment! laugh.gif I have always liked the Indian cent series and I am especially fond of the 1858 transitional patterns.

This is one of my favorites J 213 with the obverse that was adopted in 1859 coupled with the regular reverse used in 1858.

213.jpg

Truth- The top coin (J208) has a reverse that is similar to the regular 1859 reverse but it is not quits the same. The regular issue 1859 IHC has six leaves in the wreath while the J 208 in the image has a five leaf reverse. There is a die variety of the J 208 with the adopted six leaf reverse but it is extremely rare and seldom seen. For a comparison of the two reverses follow this link. uspatterns.com click on the image for enlargement. laugh.gif

There were 2 additional 1858 Indian Head designs struck in 1858 and included in the 12 piece sets.

212xPCGSx65.jpg

Harp Shield reverse

211.jpg

Oak wreath reverse