• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thoughts on this Lincoln Matte Proof

14 posts in this topic

impossible to tell from the photo/scan

so if i had to take a wild guess from the photo

the most important side of the coin over the head of the coin into the right field has a large fingerprint this doesnot help the coin

i would say choice proof red brown

As michael says, impossible to grade from this photo. The large fingerprint and general spottiness significantly detracts from the eye appeal, limiting the grade to 64RB tops. With better pcitures, I could give you a better guess.

62 -63 wouldn't shock me.

I'm surprised that it's in the PCGS because it looks cleaned to me. But since it is PR-62 or 63 would not surprise me either. Once you get below PR-64 the coin can really look ratty. It's a shame, but I usually have to buy at least a PR-65 to get something I like when it comes to older Proof pieces.

My grade would be PR-60 at best.

This one is PCGS PF-63 RB. Since it definitely is lacking eye appeal, but pretty scarce nonetheless, what do you think would be a reasonable purchase price???

Let me start by saying that I have not done much with Matte Proof Lincoln cents. I own one; I really like it; and I paid WAY over wholesale for it for my collection. The one I own is a 1913 in NGC Matte PR-66, Brown with no problems.

If you are a dealer, I would tread softly on this one. Most collectors who are interested in Matte Proof are advanced collectors who have some money to spend. They are looking for nice coins with good eye appeal. This coin lacks that. The Gray Sheet spread is $170 in PR-60 to $400 in PR-63, R&B. Do you want it for yourself or are you looking to sell it? If you looking to sell it, I’d be included to ignore the grade on the holder and offer the MS-60 money for it. The coin has a finger print on the obverse and it lacks eye appeal. If the offer is refused I don’t think that you have lost anything.

I didn’t see this coin as “a great opportunity.”

Jim, since this one is "definitely lacking in eye appeal" why are you still looking at it? A great deal on an ugly coin means you bought an ugly coin. Why not wait for a more attractive specimen, even if you have to spend a little more. These are scarce, yes, but not that rare.

I would avoid purchasing this coin.

This one is PCGS PF-63 RB. Since it definitely is lacking eye appeal, but pretty scarce nonetheless, what do you think would be a reasonable purchase price???

i would definately pass on this coin and it is not a rare or even scarce coin and is always available for sale

mostly i would pass due to low eye appeal issues

Stay away from this coin. Don't allow the technical grade by PCGS to cloud your decision.

Step back a bit, and look at other PF63 RB' s. It's at a sharp price for obvious reasons.

$ilverHawk

I have to agree with the consensus. That is an ugly coin, and MPLs are basically impossible to "fix", to use coin doctor parlance. Stay far away.

If it was actually graded, I'd be hard pressed to guess above PF-60 BN.

The popularity of MPLs stems from high-end collector interest, and only those should command a premium, well above "sheet", as Bill Jones alluded to. However, problem coins like this one should be purchased on at a substantial discount, in my opinion.

I've only dealt a couple of MPLs over the last few years, both uncertified, and I got way, way over sheet (my grade) for the coins. But ugly ones deservedly languish.

Maybe the print isn't as visible as the pictures make it seem? Maybe the fingerprint got worse after the slabbing? Either way, I would hesitate to call this one a 63.