• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reality of Pricing NGC Vs PCGS

11 posts in this topic

.25 Proof UC Minnesota PF70 = $55.00 on Numismedia. The PCGS price is $385http://boards.collectors-society.com/images/icons/default/question.gif

What's up with this huge disparityhttp://boards.collectors-society.com/images/icons/default/dollarsign3.jpg

Thanks Schatzy. Thats the guideline I was looking for. Is it true across all grades?

No every series is different. If you want a good price guide just check ebay and Heritage

for completed auctions. In most cases if the PCGS price guide says anything close to

what numismedia price is then it is pretty correct. There are even cases (like my early

roosevelt dimes) where you have to pay over what PCGS price guide says.

I use the Heritage auction history data rather than PCGS guide. A couple examples where the PCGS guide does not reflect reality -- PF-69 CAM Franklin half dollars (at least the later dates). I've been able to buy these for less than 1/5 the price on the guide! On the other part of the spectrum, I don't think it is possible to acquire matte proof Lincoln cents (1909-1916) for the price listed. Go figure.

PCGS price guide values is a bunch of numbers to screw a collector that has no idea what his coin is "REALLY" worth in the market..

NGC grades more coins period.. There has been talk that PCGS is tight? Yes.. The reason is I believe, that company tries to be a elite club of their own..

It is amazing through out the years how many coins I have had cracked out of slabs from ICG, Anacs and NGC and submitted to PCGS for grading just for a higher valued coin, not much differents..

I have even had a few coins in PCGS slabs downgrade while submitting to NGC Also have had some NGC coins upgrade or equal the same grade while paying my money for PCGS slabs..

Why do you say a person would do this.. Education my friends, education...

Learning to grade yourself and understanding the power a slabbed coin is well worth the time and money.. Let me finish this observation as... Many coins in this hobby hold a value that is very close in either TPG... More over, make a financial decision on what will the coin you submit be one point higher or lower minus the slabbing fees/shipping and then base your sending in as such... Getting a coin slabbed for protection is one thing, but hoping to hit a homerun only benefits the TPG's.. Hope this helps.

[font:Comic Sans MS]I have investigated the disparity in prices from Numismedia, NGC, PCGS. coin books, magazines and other firms. Remembering that the NGC does not buy or sell coins. Others do. Anytime someone or a company is paid money for their service, they will always atempt to receive the most money for the least service. There will always be "Public Favorites". When General Motors, or Ford, makes the same car, and puts a different name on it they can charge more for it due to public sentiment. Why is the same company making Fords and Mercurys? Why does the same company make two kinds of Chevrolets. Due to perceived value, not real value. Sentiment.

I have seen tests by big coin dealers, and major collectors, who will take high grade coins, and have them cross tested by more than one grading company, and for the most part, there is absolutely no difference. One gets a 'following', and they pronounce one better than the other, when there is no truth 'in fact', that one has proven to be over or under grading.

This post will not stop the nonsense, nor will it require that 'books' buy the coin they are pricing.

The only real guage is auction action, recorded in public away from greedy fingers greasing the numbers and results like an election in Central America.

I prefer not to sell my coins at auction, because I don't like partners nor paying commissions. I prefer to sell or trade to collectors and have some fun. Buying from dealers can be a bit dicey, because they also have a greed that must be fed as well as their children.

So, what is real. Unfortunately, what is real is the price you just paid or received for your coin. After the fact you can't go by what you paid, or what you think. I feel the prices in some books are close but have found them to not to EVER be low. That should tell you something.

There is actually a sheet available that intentionally low-balls the price for professional buyers. I have been shown this periodical so beware.

Pricing is very difficult and the rarer a coin is, the more the difficulty.

Finding a trusted dealer, long in the tooth is best. (and nearly impossible)

When in doubt, DON'T.

Have fun

Capt Brian

The Lost Navigator[/font]

Check the pop reports. That will be enlightening. PCGS is much more conservative with lofty grades.

Lance.