• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1915-D Barber Quarter - Opinions...?

9 posts in this topic

I'd love to hear some opinions on the possible grade of this Barber Quarter. It was in a collection of stuff I got from my Dad when he passed in December.

Thanks!

-Jim

obverse.jpg

reverse.jpg

First of all, welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

This looks like a scanned image, which would lead me to a grading guess of AU-55, if it is not cleaned.

Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing :( .

Its been dipped, but if the luster is still there it should grade AU-50. I'm a little concerned about the rim damage around 9 oclock on the reverse, but I think at normal size (rather than large pictures) its probably okay.

Hi everyone. Thanks for taking the time to look at my Barber quarter. The photos are taken with a digital SLR, in a special rig that I have set up. Are the images too large? I can certainly size them down a bit - my laptop runs at 1920x1200, so sometimes I forget that I can fit a lot more on my screen.

I'm not sure if it's been dipped or not. The photos are pretty true to how the coin looks in person.

I noticed the rim damage as well. In addition, it seems like the reverse of the coin has some additional wear on the right side of the eagle's tail feathers, and the upper right part of the shield. I am very new to the grading process, and I don't know how that type of situation works (ie 95% of a coin looks a certain grade, but then small parts would grade much lower).

Does dipping reduce the overall grade of a coin like this? I have read in some cases that certain toned coins will fetch a premium for the toning, and should not be dipped.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad to be on board here.

-Jim

welcome to the boards!!

an au coin that looks a little cleaned with slight rim damage

overall a decent coin with a great rememberance/keep sake from your family

I inherited a few Barber coins from my dad when he passed in 1990 and I thought that they had all been cleaned.

All but one came back certified XF--->AU.

Barber's can be deceiving.

When you say it has been cleaned, is that different from being dipped? Does it show signs of being physically rubbed with a cleaner?

I am just beginning to learn to grade, and the whole cleaning thing is pretty much a mystery to me. What do you see that indicates cleaning, or dipping (or both).

Thanks!

-Jim

The biggest thing is its color - 100 year old silver should not be blast white. This indicates that it has almost certainly been dipped. I don't see evidence of harsh cleaning (such as a wire brush) in your pictures, but sometimes you need to get the coin in hand and be able to rotate it under the light to see that sort of thing.

When you say it has been cleaned, is that different from being dipped?

well could be the same but when i say a light cleaning the coin looks like it really had an overdip that burned off some of the lustre and so this hurt the surfaces and this can be seen by a trained eye with no magnification

maybe it is the photo but it gives the coin a burned looking servuice like the lustre is really burned off meaning subdued and highly white and sort of dullish

if the dipping with really mild solution made so by cutting it with water was short a second then under running water and swished in a dish of baking soda to neurtalize any remanints of the dip solution then usually it does not affect the coins lustre to the human eye

i am sure it does on the micro level but nothing that can make a significant change to the coins appearence