• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It isn't too early to say, if you need additional commentary on Scotsman lots...

5 posts in this topic

James, I received the Scotsman Midwest Summer Sale 2010 auction catalog last week and have spent the past three days reading every lot as your descriptions are so good.

Honest, accurate and insightful, what more could one ask for? Oh, some (see lot # 1138) are quite witty too.

LOT # 701

This 1877-S Trade dollar represents everything that is most desirable in the pursuit of truly wholesome, original coins. Prowling beneath the unbelievably attractive patina is a prodigious supply of luster that clamors for indulgence, and simply begs to be enjoyed as the coin is tilted in the light. Color is best described as silver-tan with inflections of powder-bronze toning that increases appreciably in density as the rims and the edge of some devices are approached. The high points of the detail are sheathed in intriguing and limited accents of ebony-grey patina that identify precisely where the surfaces were in contact with the protective paper envelope. From the standpoint of strike, details are well above average, though not quite full, and it is certainly a pleasure to be able to view all of Liberty's hair strands and each kernel of wheat without magnification. The eagle's feathers are razor sharp, and further inspection of the reverse leads to discovery of obvious doubling on 420 GRAINS 900 FINE and TRADE DOLLAR. Interestingly, the mintmark itself is not doubled. Should this treasure ever be dipped, one-hundred and thirty years of vintage surface quality would be lost, and for that matter, why would anyone decry the sensational and irreplaceable appeal of such an original piece? For the connoisseur who truly appreciates the care and skill required to carefully preserve a coin unmolested for well over a century, this is an incredible coin from the Tabasco Sauce collection, and practically on the basis of vintage quality alone, deserves commendation as a Scotsman Cataloger's Choice award recipient.

and my personal favorite...

LOT #1138

A well-to-do American businessman during the first world war might well have walked around with a pair of coins like this in his pocket - fifteen dollars comprised of gold, both lightly circulated. Certainly, that would have made a better, more substantial statement of wealth than those large, flimsy paper notes! The lustrous 1914-S Indian eagle grades AU-50, while the accompanying 1915 half-eagle grades XF-40 and has a pleasing, original appearance. What's in your wallet? Two coin lot.

Excellent photos and one of the best written auction catalogs ever! I bid like I had a trust fund. :grin:

Thank you gentlemen for the very kind commentary! Since the printed catalogs hit the street, I've been able to field several more inquiries.

HiHo, that 1877-S is easily one of my drop-dead most favorite coins in the sale :cloud9::luhv: !!!! Ay yi yi if I only, ONLY had the $money$ I would be so all over that dollar.