• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think caused the marks on this Jefferson?

Do you think it should be in a problem free holder?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it should be in a problem free holder?

39 posts in this topic

We are talking about this coin on cointalk. It is graded by PCGS MS65FS.

I'm surprised that you are looking at Jefferson Nickels - are you moving on since you already have an amazing set of Roosies?

This is a old thread.....someone opened this from the past.

It was back when I used to talk on cointalk......I have since left!!

I can never have enough and I will never move on from my Roosevelts!!

We are talking about this coin on cointalk. It is graded by PCGS MS65FS.

I'm surprised that you are looking at Jefferson Nickels - are you moving on since you already have an amazing set of Roosies?

This is a old thread.....someone opened this from the past.

It was back when I used to talk on cointalk......I have since left!!

I can never have enough and I will never move on from my Roosevelts!!

Why don't you post on Cointalk anymore? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer publicly.

BTW, anyone interested in reading the original thread, here is the link.

Guess the Grade---1974 Jefferson Nickel PCGS

The purpose of this thread was to show the big fish in the small Cointalk pond that the marks were not caused my a mint shovel scoop. He still firmly believes that he is correct.

Someone got very lucky on the grade received. I think that truly should be no higher than 64.

Why anyone would submit a modern in for slabbing and grading is beyond me.

BTW, whomever owns the coin, I would not waste my time sending it back for consideration of a problem free slab, they may see the overgrade and reduce to 64 or less, thus placing the value from $1.50 - $2.

Bag marks, NOT caused by a scoop shovel. They may have used scoop shovels in 1874 but not 1974. Why would you empty coins out of a tote bin with a shovel when they could just be dumped into a hopper on a counting machine which filled the bags? And the idea of filling the bags with a shovel and then using weight rather than counting? So many bags would be off that the banks would be screaming bloody murder.

Bag marks, NOT caused by a scoop shovel. They may have used scoop shovels in 1874 but not 1974. Why would you empty coins out of a tote bin with a shovel when they could just be dumped into a hopper on a counting machine which filled the bags? And the idea of filling the bags with a shovel and then using weight rather than counting? So many bags would be off that the banks would be screaming bloody murder.

Conder,

If you would like to convince Doug (GDJMSP) that he is wrong, be my guest. I have had enough of his insolence for one week.

Paul

Conder,

If you would like to convince Doug (GDJMSP) that he is wrong, be my guest. I have had enough of his insolence for one week.

Paul

That's all you will ever get from him...this week, next week, the week after ;)

He brings a new definition to the term subject matter expert.....he isn't an expert in any subject but he posts like his opinion should have some weight doh!

Conder,

Paul

That's all you will ever get from him...this week, next week, the week after ;)

He brings a new definition to the term subject matter expert.....he isn't an expert in any subject but he posts like his opinion should have some weight doh!

:D

Well, its been hashed over but IMO, those marks are left over annealing marks from a weak strike in the jaw area.

Once these coins get cooled, they are very difficult to get deep marks in them such as what appears on that coin. However in the annealing overs, they are easily nicked. Take a peek at some blank planchets for comparison purposed.

Not only that, but I would expect more serious marks in the fields if those were in fact bag marks.