• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first half cent piece. How'd I do? Guess the grade

15 posts in this topic

Lovely, original-looking piece. I'll take a completely uneducated guess of XF-35. BTW did you ever make it out to Mellville, LI for a show?

How'd you do?? Really GREAT, I'd say!

It appears to be a commercial EF-45, and an EAC 35, because the images show very few distractoins. I do not think this is a strictly "original" coin, but it is very attractive.

Surfaces look a little "dry" to me. It may need some Blue Ribbon, or a proper EAC brushing.

Usually when I first acquire a coin from a series that's new to me, I think I have trouble with the photos. Perhaps I don't know the subtle nuances or what to accentuate on the pics. In hand the coin appears more of a chocolate brown color & I might have used too many lights.

Based on the responses I've received so far, I guess that may be what's going on here or the actual grade that this coin received is VERY generous. I haven't taken a full photo of the slab, but attached is the photo from the Teletrade listing:

1806halfcentsmall6nostemspcgsau53.jpg

It appears to be a commercial EF-45, and an EAC 35.....

James, I hope this doesn't sound foolish, but what is an EAC 35. I know EAC is for Early American Copper (or at least I think it does) but what signifcance is the '35' ?

It appears to be a commercial EF-45, and an EAC 35.....

James, I hope this doesn't sound foolish, but what is an EAC 35. I know EAC is for Early American Copper (or at least I think it does) but what signifcance is the '35' ?

See if this article helps any!

It's an 1806 C-1, small 6, stemless.

The reverse stemless wreath die was used from the most common die varieties for the years 1804 (C-13), 1805 (C-1), and 1806 (C-1). Your piece was at the end of the line when that tough old die was about to finally give up the ghost. It didn't develope die breaks; it just sort of faded away.

The EAC grade on the coin would be EF-40. It's a nice example of a common variety that is not that hard to find in the higher grades. (At least it didn't used to be that hard).