• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you agree with NGC grade on my new error?

Do you think the coin is undergraded?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the coin is undergraded?

9 posts in this topic

Well I just bought this coin for my 1983 error collection. I hope to be able to add a 25C on 10C someday!!

There was another one up for auction and it was graded MS66. Link

After looking at my pictures and the MS66 pictures.......I don't understand the grade.

Mine has less hair detail but the reverse looks the same.

Here is the first one graded MS66 by NGC.

1981-PNGC.jpg

Here is the one I purchased graded AU58 by NGC.

1983-PNGCC.jpg

1983-PNGCA.jpg1983-PNGCB.jpg

Question: Do you see wear on both side or just the obverse?

There is more definite, obvious wear on the obverse. I do see a little high point discoloration on the highest point of the eagle's breast as well.

Question: Do you see wear on both side or just the obverse?

There is more definite, obvious wear on the obverse. I do see a little high point discoloration on the highest point of the eagle's breast as well.

Thanks Jason!!

I will post some better pictures....when I get the coin.

Wow, there are two strikes against this coin getting an MS-something grade. First of all, it's a 1983-P. Quarters and halves from that year are so incredibly poorly struck that they practically were EF/AU coins when they fell off the dies! Strike one. Second, it's struck on an undersized planchet, so there again, the coin was not going to get nicely struck to begin with. Strike two.

All that said, it's a really cool error, and I would have no care whatsoever what anyone thinks the "grade" is. What's it matter? The grade has no impact on what the coin IS, which is a very neat mint error.