• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade newly purchased 1881 Morgan

16 posts in this topic

Well, this Morgan currently resides in a PCGS slab , graded MS65.

The reason I posted this coin is because I was trying to see if anyone else thinks it might be an upgrade candidate.

I feel it has a shot & your input leads me to believe I might be right.

Thanks for all the opinions

Well, this Morgan currently resides in a PCGS slab , graded MS65.

The reason I posted this coin is because I was trying to see if anyone else thinks it might be an upgrade candidate.

I feel it has a shot & your input leads me to believe I might be right.

Thanks for all the opinions

It's a substantial bump in value, so it would be worth a shot. Even if it doesn't get a 66, it might get the +. If it does get a + are you going to send it to CAC to try for a green beanie, too?

Good luck either way!

Chris

Well Chris, if it gets bumped up to a 65+ , I think I'll be satisfied with that. For obvious reasons I'd much rather get the bump to 66 but I honestly think the+ designation would suffice.

The reverse is MS-65, but the obverse, which is the side that counts most, is MS-64. There are too many marks on the cheek to rate a higher grade.

I can't get a good sense from these images of what's on the cheek, which is crucial to an MS-66 grade. Just a little bit of "noise" there will prevent an upgrade.

There is a large price jump from MS 65 to MS 66.

I am not sure if PCGS or NGC would be willing to upgrade the coin if you sent in still in the MS 65 holder. You do have a shot at 66 but you would have to crack it and re submit it raw. To much risk for that. Best bet on this would be to send it to CAC . If the coin is MS 66 you would get a gold sticker, a strong MS 65 gets the green and will add value to the coin when its time to sell.

Don when are you going to get CAC submission privileges ??