• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best Modern Coin in Proof or Mint to save for the Future valuation?

10 posts in this topic

Here's the question:

What would be in everyones opinion the Best Modern coin today, in either Proof or Mint State, to Save for the Future to Gain in Valuation?

My opinion would be the 2001 Proof Buffalo as they did not Issue very many and they were bought up in about 3 weeks. Another would be the 1997 Silver Half Dollar.

Papag

I'll usually ignore this sort of question but this one is phrased in an interesting way, so will give you my take on it:

Coins make a lousy investment for a multitude of reasons, but if one must buy coins as investments there are some interesting bets in the moderns. Some of the best may be the '82-P quarters in a nice low-grade gem, and some of the earlier issues which weren't saved in rolls in mid-grade or better gem. These are all very scarce coins and the reason for the low prices is a very aenemic demand. It seems that future collectors will desire the clads in at least choice condition and many of these will be very tough to locate. While they've become difficult to locate raw, most are still available for little more than the cost of slabbing.

Other denominations also have some interesting plays among the circulating issues and should not be ignored.

Many other moderns have great potential but the higher costs of buy-in reduces the percent increase possible.

If one could include commems from the question posed, I would suggest a 1995-W Pr ASE as a good investment for future value. These things are very hard to find and seem to go up in price every time I do find one. There are 3 available on eBay right now AND one complete set with gold coins in OM album.

See next thread.

David

Thank you Cladking and Spy88 for your opinions. I agree with Cladking when he says that its high to buy in right now. I definitely agree with Spy88 as I have tried to bid and buy a 1995 W Silver eagle many times but it kind of went over my budget. Its the last one I need. So I'm waiting a little longer and build up my finances to get one. Thanks again

Papag

I like the SMS 1998-S Kennedy with a mintage of about 60,000. It's an attractive coin and once the series comes to an end (and, it will- one day- soon, I hope), it'll bump up in appeal and price. That's pure speculation, but I think it could happen with very little downside risk.

Hi IrishMike

Thanks for the input and IMO I would say near the time when the government switched from all silver to Clad. I know that there are ones that have 90% silver such as the commem. and the Silver Eagles and some Ikes. There are also the 40 % silver as well in certain years. Is that to say then that the Silver Proofs are going to be better in valuation than the Clads in the future for the same grade? confused.gif I also know that from the 1999 State quarter proof sets to date, come in 90% silver as well. Again in the future is it better to collect the silver proof or the Clads or the Mint Sets? confused.gif Thanks again for your input.

PapaG

I like the 1997 5$ Mint State Gold Modern Commemorative Jackie Robinson with less than 6,000 minted; a scarce key to a very popular series. The Smithsonian and Civil War MS gold have also preformed very well and both have low mintages.

Low mintage key coins within any series have always been popular and liquid.