• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade and Value my Pastor's Seated Liberty Dollar

9 posts in this topic

Word is getting out that I am the resident numismatist at my church, so people are bringing their coins to me for evaluation. This one is beyond my experience, though, so I need y'all's help! Please place a grade and a value on my pastor's seated liberty dollar!

Looking at photograde and Coin Values, I come up with Fine-12, and $400. Please help me refine this!

IMG_7253.jpg

IMG_7254.jpg

The grade is a VG-10. The LIBERTY is higher in these coins wore off quicker than it did on the smaller silver pieces. The Gray Sheet bid is $250, but it's one of those situations where there is not much spread between this grade and Fine. And for another $150 or so you can get a VF. For that reason it would be hard to get $250 for this coin. Think in terms of $200 to $225.

This is a VF coin with a VW, very weak, strike. I would net grade it to F-12-15. The obv scratch is tiny compared to the size of the coin, and in this grade would do nothing to the grade.

The grade is a VG-10. The LIBERTY is higher in these coins wore off quicker than it did on the smaller silver pieces. The Gray Sheet bid is $250, but it's one of those situations where there is not much spread between this grade and Fine. And for another $150 or so you can get a VF. For that reason it would be hard to get $250 for this coin. Think in terms of $200 to $225.

Precisely what I was thinking.

Could it get a 12, maybe as a slider, but I like it as a 10+.

It has VG details, but if I were cataloging it, I'd have net-graded it to G-6 due to the obverse scratches.

When you get down to this grade, you can expcet some scratches. The marks don't lower the grade at all for me.