• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1907 Barber Quarter Dollar Proof

16 posts in this topic

Should i send it to NGC? What grade does it look to be?

Yes.If you bought it from who I think,then get it graded.I can't really tell alot from those pictures and I won't buy from anyone who uses Green pictures or any other unnatural tint. To me it says "something is wrong with this coin". But they use the same style on everything so.. I would rather look at your pictures,if you can post some when you get the coin.

welcome to the boards

it looks like a decent proof to my eye but the photos are not the best

i would need some better photos and also one tilted in the light to give you some sort of grade guesstimate

and a wild guess from the current photos is a proof details or a lower proof grade

other better photos might change my current opinion

good luck with it and i look forward to better photos if you can post them on here in a few days or so

Since those photos seem to be hiding something, this is just a guess, but looks PF-65ish to my eye. May have some cameo but can't tell with that tint. Color may be an issue...

It looks a lot like the photos of prolific ebayer with the initials GSC. They sell a lot of raw what appears to be high end material. I usually ask myself, why it is raw.

This is a GSC coin .You paid way to much for this coin raw .

A certified PF 63 1907 Barber has a value of around $700 , Pf 64 would be around $900. It is very unlikely that this coin would grade PF 64 , if it was a good coin it would most likely already be slabbed. I don’t want to scare you but you need to take this coin into a local trusted dealer for assessment. GSC sells a lot a problem coins , their pictures are doctored to hide imperfections and problems. Chances are high that this is a problem coin that has altered surfaces. If you send it to NGC you will not be able to return it to GSC and run the risk of a very expensive mistake. If you do not have a trusted dealer ask GSC if they will refund your money if the coin comes back in a details holder. If the refuse then I think you know what to do .

There are many many many proof Barber coins that have never seen the inside of a slab. The fact that one is offered raw is in and of itself not a problem to me.

There are many many many proof Barber coins that have never seen the inside of a slab. The fact that one is offered raw is in and of itself not a problem to me.

GSC sells a lot of raw problem coins, you should know this.

Their photos are heavily doctored , I know this from dealing with them . I want others to avoid the same mistake I made .

Their photos are heavily doctored , I know this from dealing with them . I want others to avoid the same mistake I made .

I am not familiar with "GSC" - sorry :) !

I am not familiar with "GSC" - sorry :) !

That is actually a good thing !! :grin:

Hairlines oftentimes define the grade of these proof coins. Therefore, our guesses are truly uninformed. If you are not expert at looking at proof coinage then you are taking possibly a mighty large chance with your money.

Great Southern coins aren't necessarily bad,but you do have to check them very thoroughly and use their return policy if you have the slightest doubt. They get a lot of uninformed collectors buying who hesitate to return something or give a negative feedback and with the numbers they have they can absorb few bad marks and move on. Their photos are deliberately dark and green to hide any flaws.I've been tempted over the years to bid and while I have made some lowball bids I've never really been confident enough to go after something there.

Great Southern coins aren't necessarily bad,but you do have to check them very thoroughly and use their return policy if you have the slightest doubt. They get a lot of uninformed collectors buying who hesitate to return something or give a negative feedback and with the numbers they have they can absorb few bad marks and move on. Their photos are deliberately dark and green to hide any flaws.I've been tempted over the years to bid and while I have made some lowball bids I've never really been confident enough to go after something there.

Do yourself a favor Pruden , don’t even low ball a bid with GSC , it is not worth the hassle. They sell a lot of problem coins and the grades they assign are usually 4 – 5 points over graded.