• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

large cent varieties - recommend a site?

10 posts in this topic

i just picked up some oldies and i'd like to attribute them. but i don't have a book, and i can't find a website that breaks down the sheldon varieties.

anyone know of one? (shrug)

Honestly... there isn't one.

Do you just care about getting them attributed, or do you want the hassle -- oops I mean the pleasure of experiencing the attribution process firsthand?

i just picked up some oldies and i'd like to attribute them. but i don't have a book, and i can't find a website that breaks down the sheldon varieties.

anyone know of one? (shrug)

Kind of a long shot but you might want to check your county library.Sometimes very unexpected things turn up.

both.. i enjoy learning :)

i worked on a dansco album awhile back, and all the varieties in there kinda drove me nuts but once you get em down it's pretty satisfying

seems like a solid half cent/large cent website is missing from the internet. there are great bust half sites out there that analyze the overton varieties.. how come no love for the old copper?

anyway, maybe i'll post pics and see if anyone wants to help... i got 10 of em - 1794, 1795, 1802, and seven 1803's lol

I would recommend posting them in separate threads. Conder101 and several other folks, including myself, would be glad to take a shot at attributing, I'm sure!

sounds good, thanks fellas (thumbs u

here's the '94... this one looks awful when blown up like this (it's actually kind of embarrassing), i'd be surprised if anyone can make anything of it...

DSCN0848.jpg

DSCN0854.jpg

2 more, why not..

DSCN0856.jpg

DSCN0859.jpg

DSCN0863.jpg

DSCN0865.jpg

(worship) thank you

1794 S-63 LIBERTY is close to the head and the Junction of the hair and forehead is completely left of the T there are only three varieties like that S-60, 61, and 63. Bottom leaf on the right is single S-63

1795 lettered edge S-75 5 is solidly imbedded in the but so the entire top is gone. S-74 or 75. bottom right leaf is double with point centered below C S-75

1802 S-225 Wreath has stems, has berry right of T in CENT, berry right of E in ONE, loops of the bow are complete. (each of those eliminates a group of varieties) Gap between the ends of the wreath left of center below second S in STATES. S-225 or 232. Leaf is centered between OF and AM S-225

If you don't have the books one of the best websites is still CoinFacts. Yes I know they are charging for it now, but the free site is still there and usable, you just have to put up with them dunning you to join the pay site about every four to six page clicks. But when the ad starts to come up just click on the page again and it goes away for another four to six page clicks.

Most of the early and middle date varieties are accessable on the site. If you don't see an image make sure you scroll down the page. Sometimes it doesn't show the coin and it is down at the bottom of the page instead of the top. Unfortunately it does not tell you the diagnostics for the variety.

Here is the S-63 page

http://www.coinfacts.com/large_cents/liberty_cap_large_cents/1794_large_cents/1794_large_cent_s63.htm

The S-75 page

http://www.coinfacts.com/large_cents/liberty_cap_large_cents/1795_large_cents/1795_large_cent_s75.htm

And the S-225 page

http://www.coinfacts.com/large_cents/draped_bust_large_cents/1802_large_cents/1802_large_cent_s225.htm

WOW.. thanks so much, Conder (worship) the time you put into that is greatly appreciated. i owe ya one (thumbs u

Not much time, those were easy. You want tough try a low grade 1800, all the reverses came from the same hub and only differ due to minor hand refinishing work which for the most part doesn't show on the low grade coins.