• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin dip dilution

6 posts in this topic

tap water if you have soft water

hard water ie. lots of mineral deposits then it is better to use distilled water to cut the dipping solution

i guess to be on the safe side i would cut the acidic solution with distilled water

good luck!!

OK.

This will be an interesting experiment. A PCGS MS-66 ugly toned Morgan dollar, that I think is worthy of MS-67. WOW!!!

It needs a bit of "help" to get the streaking (and fingerprint) ugly toning off of it.

I haven't tried this, but my theory is that I would want the action of the dip to be relatively slow so that I could monitor the progress.

Dipping in full strength dip strips the toning off basically instantly. Too fast. If it removes it that fast it is too strong. I think you will find that even a 50/50 mix of dip and distilled water will still strip any toning off faster than you can react. (I have done 50/50.) I would think a 10% or even 1% solution would slow the reaction down enough to allow you to observe what is going on and to remove the coin and rinse with distilled water to stop the action of the dip once the level of toning removal you desire has been reached rather than having no choice between ugly/dark toned and blast white. It may even be possible with a 1% solution to remove or lighten toning gradually, starting and stopping the process until you have reached the desired effect.

And dilute with distilled water. You never know what chemicals may be in your tap water.

You should not leave the coin in solution for more than a few seconds.

The dissolved metal can electroplate back onto the coin if it sits (im no scientist, so my terminology could be off a little).

Dip should be done quickly, neutralized, and then re-examined to see if more action is needed. Diluting the solution introduces contaminants and if not perfectly mixed, some parts of the coin might not get evenly treated.

Dip should be a last resort because other things can give just as good or sometimes better results without striping metal away!