• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Australian 1927 proof

5 posts in this topic

Hi all cna anyone help with this Australian one florin ..

The coin seems to be the Proof type and i cannot see any cleaning marks on the coin under X10

the scan makes it look dull but as you can see in the photo it has mirrow surfaces the thing which is makeing me question it is the die crack running through the letters at REX FD IND .. could they have used an old Proof die on a general issue coin ?

Sauspr.jpg

aus001.jpg

I do not know, but if you do have one, you have at least a minor windfall. The 1927 Parliament Florin is not particularly scarce by my standards (mintage of 300 I believe) but it is not cheap either. All of the other Australia KGV proofs are both expensive and at least moderately rare. I do not know the mintages but I believe no more than a few dozen and many with less.

There are obvious signs, and reflectivity is not really one of them

You need contrast between field and design

You need full steps and full strike, there are fine details which are missing on circulation coins

You need perfect beaded rim on both, the reverse especially

Show us the reverse ? but I'm saying circulation based on the lack of contrast in the image I can see

Oh and the moustache tip is missing the fine detail it would have, although that could be wear. The best indicators are the steps on parliament house, the big 1927 area and the fine details below that including the orbs, and the fine twirly line ends. Those little curled ends need to be sharper than usual

Having read the article again recently I can say the steps is the big one, since the steps are opposite very metal hungry part of the obverse design. Circulation coins, even in GEM condition, show melding between the steps

Also looking for raised lines from die touchups !