• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about 1832 Nova scotia token

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

Just picked up these 1832 tokens and they seem to have diffrent 2's in the date

SNS1832.jpg

also if you look at the whisp of hair on the forehead in relation to the OF they seem to be in diffrent positions.

Snovatok.jpg

Questions: is this a normal thing ? and is one rare ?

cheers

Hi all

Just picked up these 1832 tokens and they seem to have diffrent 2's in the date

SNS1832.jpg

also if you look at the whisp of hair on the forehead in relation to the OF they seem to be in diffrent positions.

Snovatok.jpg

Questions: is this a normal thing ? and is one rare ?

cheers

Interesting stuff to read about these tokens in my Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Colonial Tokens!

There are three varieties of genuine 1832 Thistle tokens, as determined by the relationship of the bow at the back of George's head with his neck. These weight 17.0 to 17.1 grams.

NS-2B1 Bow far from head

NS-2B2 Bow near head

NS-2B3 Bow touching head

NS-2B1 and NS-2B2 have the same values while NS2B3 is worth more (x4 at VG, x2 and AU)

There are also 5 counterfeit varieties of the 1832 Thistle token, as determined by the shape of the 1 in the date and the metal composition. These weight 12.8 to 16.6 grams. The picture shows that the ribbons on the bow are, for the most part, straight.

NS-4A1 Flat top 1 in Copper

NS-4A2 Left top 1 in Copper

NS-4A3 Left top 1 in Brass

NS-4A4 Right top one in Copper

NS-4A5 Right top one in Brass

The Brass tokens are about twice as expensive as the copper tokens.

The one on the right is certainly the counterfeit NS-4A2, a left top 1. The shape of the 2 is also consistent with the picture in Charlton, with a round ball on the end of the 2.

The one on the left is a genuine token, the shape of the 2 matches the picture - a sharp end to the 2. I believe that it is the NS-2B1 version of the token.

Chears farthing .. thats what i love about this site GREAT information .. i will have to have a look at the other thistle tokens i got in the lot now

token one is 17.0g

and the second is 13.5

spot on