• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade of this 1875 Indian Head Cent

26 posts in this topic

Guess the grade on this 1875 Indian Head Cent

Opinions always welcome .

Top images are digital , bottom ones are scanned.

I did not spend much time getting a good digital image that is why I posted scanned ones as well.

96177.jpg.778711c06f6dcaf2160f0228ef307a99.jpg

96178.jpg.aba1ca03a9b820555e51e355258e6079.jpg

96179.jpg.70fff16ffccf68230849b257521ddcbe.jpg

96180.jpg.3da09e7afa106dd5fd75f1f61d4595f1.jpg

i grade the coin a very choice unc.

but the most important thing about this particular 1875 indian head cent which carries the most weight in my eyes

the coin has GREAT!! eye appeal

Yes that is a re punched one , I did not notice it until your guys pointed it out.

NGC gave this one MS 64 RD. It does appear to be mostly red, and it does have some carbon spots. I must admit I have not seen enough Red Indians and this is not a series of coin I am familiar with however this one does look like it is a better candidate for a RD designation over the other RD Indians I have owned. I will send this off to CAC next month. I was not able to get a good picture of this coin .

96244.jpg.e64c8f0e68f28ed1a66a2dbac45450f2.jpg

I don't think CAC will give it the bean because I think it's now just under the required amount of red for the designation.

You are probably correct as I have been unsuccessful with other Red Indians I have submitted. Although this one does appear slightly better then the others I sent in .

I am sending this one out with many other coins after the Milwaukee show .

I know the 64 is spot on, but hey, you might get lucky and have them say it's exactly 95% red.

What is the lowest acceptable cut off for RB VS RD ?

I have to agree with Michael on this thread. Very nice and easy on the eyes. Whether CAC gives you the bean or not it is definately a keeper.

I know the 64 is spot on, but hey, you might get lucky and have them say it's exactly 95% red.

What is the lowest acceptable cut off for RB VS RD ?

A coin must exhibit 95% original red lustre to qualify as red. Now, how they determine that beats me, but I would guess yours is hair over 90% atm, but may have been 95% when graded. But I've seen plenty of color designations I don't agree with, so you might get lucky.

I have to agree with Michael on this thread. Very nice and easy on the eyes. Whether CAC gives you the bean or not it is definately a keeper.

Must say I agree it's a nice piece, regardless of the color designation.

thick, even color and beautiful ORIGINAL SKIN

great eye appeal

this coin is better than rb to the point where it is not rb but better and it is not quite red but yet again way better than rb

the surfaces originality and color present well and above average for eye appeal

i have no doubt there are redder original coins but few in red holders are as eye appealling as this coin

thick, even color and beautiful ORIGINAL SKIN

great eye appeal

this coin is better than rb to the point where it is not rb but better and it is not quite red but yet again way better than rb

the surfaces originality and color present well and above average for eye appeal

i have no doubt there are redder original coins but few in red holders are as eye appealling as this coin

I can agree with the better than RB but not quite RD, I've got a Lincoln I feel the exact same way about.

My original intention was to flip this coin because I picked it up for a great price.

Even if it does not CAC I may wind up keeping it.

Speaking of EYE appeal check this one out . No way this would pass a RD today , I am pretty sure it may have once been mostly Rd once but turned in the slab . Coin looks even better in hand with lots of tone and color.

This is in an old fatty.

96300.jpg.019b513ed24f2ed7d53101102eec0529.jpg

My original intention was to flip this coin because I picked it up for a great price.

Speaking of EYE appeal check this one out . No way this would pass a RD today , I am pretty sure it may have once been mostly Rd once but turned in the slab . Coin looks even better in hand with lots of tone and color.

This is in an old fatty.

I could see that with a CAC. Even though the green/yellow isn't actual red, I feel that coin is more red than the other, at around 95% again. That one is amazing though!

This is in an old fatty.

I could see that with a CAC. Even though the green/yellow isn't actual red, I feel that coin is more red than the other, at around 95% again. That one is amazing though!

CAC did not certify the 1892 :(

I bought this a couple of years ago from Heritage when Anaconda coin liquidated their inventory .

CAC did not certify the 1892 :(

I bought this a couple of years ago from Heritage when Anaconda coin liquidated their inventory .

:takeit: Awesome Coin!!