• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins out of the roll

12 posts in this topic

MS-64 would be a decent average. Expect to find pieces as low as MS-60 (that look more like MS-58) and up to MS-66. Finding anything nicer than that is an exception, and I would venture to hazard that one might need to search 10 rolls to find a single MS-67 (which most will just think would be a 66, but the graders are being nice for a change), given what I've seen in mine lately. Finding a near flawless specimen is a true find, and thus the MS-68 business strikes command much more value than it seems like they should.

That said, even from mint sets, you can expect to find cents as low as SMS-66 even a 65, but most are 67-68 with the occasional 69.

Pulling pennies right out of the roll...what would say they would (on average) be graded as?

Just currious.

If you mean new, 2010 cents right from the bank, my guess is MS-66/67 RD. For example, at ALDI yesterday, I got 2 new cents in change, which means they were already out of the rolls and jostling around in the register, and they both easily grade MS-66 or better.

I have about 40 rolls of 2009 but I am looking for 2010 rolls as well. I am going to search them all when I get the chance.

On that note...on one of the rolls I can see a very visable error, about 3/4 the size of the penny and completly round. It looks like it was "almost" struck on a dime? I will post the picture when I get it out of the roll (that will be the first one). I didn't get a good chance to look at it and I don't know what the machines look like that roll them (possibly from that?) so I am not getting too excited...yet!

I have about 40 rolls of 2009 but I am looking for 2010 rolls as well. I am going to search them all when I get the chance.

You might want to concentrate your efforts toward looking for varieties and errors. Let's suppose that you didn't want to bother, but after searching several hundred, you notice one of the DDR's in the 2009 series. Do you really want to go back and search all of the others again?

Don't worry, when you happen to come across a higher grade, you'll notice it right away.

Chris

That sounds exciting,agreed,you may want to familiarize yourself with all the known errors for that type before searching deeply under a loupe.this way you dont have to double search.alot of new pennies are spotted,so be prepared..I always enjoy opening all at once and laying them out all p's then d's at seperate times,looking for the "major" errors,ones visible without a loupe,then I get down & dirty under a good light,and go to town looking for that die crack or double die,anything out of the ordinary.I always keep my flips & pen close by,so you can label each one.Good Luck,Sounds like a great time.

That sounds exciting,agreed,you may want to familiarize yourself with all the known errors for that type before searching deeply under a loupe.this way you dont have to double search.alot of new pennies are spotted,so be prepared..I always enjoy opening all at once and laying them out all p's then d's at seperate times,looking for the "major" errors,ones visible without a loupe,then I get down & dirty under a good light,and go to town looking for that die crack or double die,anything out of the ordinary.I always keep my flips & pen close by,so you can label each one.Good Luck,Sounds like a great time.

If they're fresh bank rolls of new coins (well at least cents) they will generally be 100% from the same mint.