• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1961 Proof .10, .25 and .50 out of the celo - some toning - grade?

7 posts in this topic

Any ideas - the coins have a nice redish tone to them out of the celo sealed in the envelope since 1961. The scratch on the .50 is the air-tite, not the coin - but a celo dot on Ben's head.

Proof .10

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461-1.jpg

Proof .25

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

Proof .50

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

The toning, especially on the half, is not very attractive. It is almost impossible to grade proofs from pictures - even very good pictures. I cannot wager a guess on those.

if out of mint cello and never been wiped or cleaned and i am not missing anything in the photos the coins are at least proof 65 even with the unattractive toning

Despite what some collectors might think, the cello packs from 1955 to 1964 often did a remarkable job of preserving Proof coins. These pieces are probably devoid or almost devoid of hairlines, but the toning is unattractive. I would avoid dipping them because it probably won't help and could put some dip marks in the fields.

The reason why grades like PR-68 are scarce is because stuff happens to coins, even in the cello packs or coin capsules. I once saw a pair of Mt. Rushmore $5 gold coins (Proof and Uncirculated) that had been ruined because a former ower had stored them in the Florida heat and humidity. One would have thought that gold could have resisted going bad in that environment, but that was not the case. Remember than the next time you think about storing your Proof sets in the attic or garage.

Thanks for the comments.

Of the three, I like the dime and the quarter the best - the Franklin toning is ugly but a clean coin. The cello pack was starting to degrade and I felt it was best to open them up and place the coins in air-tite holders.

There also was a nickle which turned entirely to a gun metal color in the same cello pack.

many times the cello packs have small pin holes that are not really visible but are there nonetheless

and the environment inside and what is on the coins from the mint which is just a giant dirty machine shop along with the air getting in tones the coins usually unattractive

Simetimes the glue that holds these packs together can do a job on the coins. I once had a set that had a blue toned nickel in it. When I opened the nickel pocket, a gas came out that had a strong odor. Now people think that these blue toned nickels are cool. Back in the 1970s they were considered to be culls.