• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

only 3 known out of 933 million Pics Added

12 posts in this topic

it's been 46/47 years since the last of the 1964 regular circulation silver Roosevelt dimes.

933 million 1964's were produced,and even more 1964-D's.Thats an awful lot of coins.

in 46 years only 3 1964-P FS-802 DDR coins have been graded by NGC (2) and PCGS (1).

the best known coin is a single MS63.The others are a 55 and a 58

these numbers indicate that finding one of these coins (in any condition,let alone a MS coin) is 3 million to 1

considering the massive mintage,the FS-802 has to be one of the most rare coins ever known.

now there are 4 known coins as i have found one and it's better than MS63 making it the finest known.I will be sending it to NGC for grading.

My pics stink....i know....the coin is blast white.

FS-802DieChip.jpg

crop5.png

....welcome to the forums. i hope you have the real deal but as you may know,

the chances are slim. you MAY have one that is machine doubled. they are

very similar but very different in availability. wish we had a pic and best of luck! :hi:

Good luck on your submission.

However, I do consider it unlikely that this coin is anywhere near as scarce as you believe it to be. The census numbers are not representative in many instances for a variety of reasons.

The coin may truly be rare but what I have seen is on common date coins with very little value, most folks do not submit them becuase of the cost vs value so I would be surprised if there aren't whole rolls of this variety sitting in some old time collections. hm

you may be right.

L and C Coins has a FS-801 MS62 (801 is a higher pop then 802) for $500.00

i saw another somewhere that sold for 450.00

so that should be enough money to bring em all out of hiding.....no?

450/500 is respectable for a "common" coin....no?

Unless the doubling is really dramatic, I don't see a big market for this coin. Sure someone might have sold one for $450, but it still would not get a bunch of people looking for it unless there was a lot of publicity.

This does not look like the type of die preparation error that would have had the mint jumping out of its skin to take the die out of service early on before it struck very many coins. Since dimes are small and this coin was made of silver, which is softer than clad, the die may have made over 50,000 impressions. Sure a lot of 90% silver coins have been melted over the years, but I'll bet that there a good deal more of these coins waiting to be discovered.

The answer to your question is that, yes if this sale is not an aberation, it probably is high enough to increase the available supply if it exists. But given the statistics you cite, its probably premature to know one way or the other.

The typical pattern, especially with US coins, is for coins with low values to have low census numbers and those with higher values to have larger numbers, if the coins actually exist.

Taking a brief look at the NGC census numbers, most Roosevelt dime date/mintmark combinations have zero varieties listed though of those that do, many or most have more than four. And I presume that die varieties exist for the others, as they presumably would for every series and almost any date in a series if someone has bothered to perform attribution.

For this type of coin, I would expect that if you or someone you know has actually looked through a large enough representative population of this date and quantified the relative frequency with which this particular die variety appears versus others, that would be the most accurate method to better assess actual scarcity.

couple of pics added.i can NOT take pics...they appear brownish.the coin is a frosty blast white.

the coin has a die clash on the bridge of the nose (as listed by CONECA) so who knows....maybe the mint yanked the die when discovered.

the "we" on the obverse and the "states" on the reverse are struck pretty distorted so who knows? maybe they pulled the die after a short run......

only time will tell.......