• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone know a good half cent site?

11 posts in this topic

i'm trying to attribute a 1794 1/2 cent, apparently there are 9 varieties but i can't find any solid info on them. coinfacts is the best i could come up with, but they don't get into it enough. ideally a site with pictures and a list of pick up points would be perfect.. anyone know a good site?

for what it's worth..

DSCN0495.jpg

DSCN0497.jpg

thanks a bunch

You have a couple of problems here. First, I think there is no good website for attributing half-cents. Second, your coin is slabbed, which means we cannot see the edge, and that is needed for proper attribution. (It's just one more reason slabs are not preferred for early copper.)

Using Breen's delightful Encyclopedia of Half Cents, I think it narrows down to Obverse 3, Reverse E, but I don't know whether you have large edge letters or not. If so - then you have an exceptionally rare and valuable coin. It is worth cracking out to make sure about this.

Assuming it's a small edge letters, then you probably have C-3, or Breen's 5b, which is still quite rare, and a nice example.

Grade looks like VG-8 or so to me, taking into account the scratches.

I agree with James that this coin is a C-3. I've had some PCGS holders that allowed you to see the edge lettering. Still it's a not a bad idea to crack this one out and give it some TLC. Some of the green stuff on the obverse might lift off if the coin had a little CARE put on it, and the copper might be better preserved as well.

Overall it's a very decent example of scrace variety even if it doesn't have the large edge letters.

thank you very much, i appreciate your help.

Cohen-3 sounds good. whether it's 3a or 3b is a mystery though eh..

cracking it out is tempting but i put it up for sale already, and i don't know if i'd get the same grade if i sent it in. it's probably 3a (small letters), right? haha i hope so, unless i do crack it out.

DSCN0488.jpg

http://www.coinfacts.com/half_cents/1794_half_cents/1794_half_cent_c3.htm hm

1794 HALF CENT - COHEN 3

Rarity: Rare

Variety Equivalents: Breen 5, Gilbert 7

Notes:

The obverse die of this variety was also used on:

1794 Cohen 5

1794 Cohen 6

This reverse die of this variety was also used later on:

1794 Cohen 4

this caught my attention: '"VF-20". Ex - Superior Galleries "Pre-Long Beach" Elite Coin Auction, May 25-27, 2003, Lot 75, sold for $5,290.00 Ex Heritage 5/18/84:410-Dr. Wallace Lee.'

is that the regular 3a or b?

again, thank you

grazie :)

looks like i have a new found interest in this coin.. i forgot how deep you can go with the early stuff

found this one on heritage

1794 1/2 C Small Edge Letters. VG10 Uncertified. C-3a, B-5b, R.5. Breen State II. Manley State 2.0. EAC 10. A die bulge from the border to the bust right of the date appears much like a die crack. $1725

is that the same one?

i might crack it out.... think i should?