• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade 1904 double eagle

12 posts in this topic

It looks to be a very pretty example. I'd go with a high end MS-63. As usual the reverse is better, but the "big cheek" on the obverse brings the grade back down to earth.

Pretty good guys, and the winner is Tejas with a guess of 63.85. Thanks for playing everyone!!!!

No, but seriously PCGS calls it a 64 & Physics got it right. I love the reverse on this particular example & the obverse has it's usual ticks & chatter but overall, I'm happy with this pickup. I think I got it for a very good price. What is the bid price on a 1904 in MS64 anyway???

I don't want to put a huge pin in your balloon, but the 1904 double eagle is by far the most common date among the Liberty head $20 gold pieces. If it were not for that date, the type would be far more expensive to collect.

Having said that you coin is very nice. (thumbs u It's better than the best type coin I have right now because it has better luster.

If you would like to campare grades, here are two pieces from my collection.

This 1907-D is a PCGS MS-64. I bought this because I wanted to show the three types of 1907 double eagles, the Liberty, the High Relief and the lower relief St. Gaudens. It is super smooth, but it does not have great luster.

1907D20O.jpg1907D20R.jpg

This 1896 double eagle is a PCGS MS-63. I think that it is high end for the grade. I own this one because of the 1896 presidential election when the battle over gold and silver took center stage.

189620O.jpg189620R.jpg

Don't worry Bill, no offense taken. :) I know my double eagle would hardly be considered a rarity by any stretch. I'm simply looking for nice Unc examples for my type set and based on grade/quality & price, this one fit right in. I only paid a few dollars more than bid so I'm pretty happy.

And by the way, your double eagles are very nice examples. Thanks for sharing.