• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full bell line Franklins

14 posts in this topic

I have several BU rolls of Franklins my father put away decades ago. I am not familiar what is needed for these to grade full bell lines. Can the experts in this area post photos of full bell line Franklins as well as "almost" full bell lines so I can determine if I might have any candidates.

Thanks.

I would highly recommend you spend some time looking at my Franklin Registry set, linked below in my signature. It has more than you ever wanted to know about Franklins, including good pictures. In particular, I would point you to the entry for my 1948, where I talk about what a coin needs to be FBL. Other coins with exceptional bell lines - 1948D, 1949S, and 1959D. After reading the link Bugmann posted and my Registry set, feel free to ask any specific questions you can think of.

Thanks, Jason, for the recommendation. I had not seen your registry set on Franklin Halves and enjoyed the photos and explanations you provided. Great job and extremely nice collection very well assembled.

Jim

So I take it that CAC only goes by the bottom set of lines.

Yes. They follow PCGS. They are both worthless as a designation in my book.

To me, by just looking at the bottom set of bell lines is yet another marketing ploy, snuck in under the radar by a major grading house. Just think off all the FBL designations that just barely made that criteria, especially for their own registry sets. I would much rather have a NGC Franklin with that designation, where I know all the lines in the bell are accounted for.

True, there are many PCGS Franklins that would FBL with any service, but there are way more out there that would not qualify.

NGC...just keep what your doing with FBL, you are correct 100%

Another thing to keep in mind and Sy's coin pictured above could illustrate thi some.....a lot of coin images flatten out the fine details so when it comes to buying FBL or even FT coins.....there is no substitute for seeing the coins in person.

I sent 26 mint set toner into NGC a little over a month ago and got quite a few FBL coins and 3 FT roosies. When I looked at the image of my coins while waiting for the coins to come back the torch lines looked to be lacking a lot of detail so I thought maybe I just got lucky and caught NGC on a good day :screwy:

In hand though the strikes were much stronger and I completely agreed with the designation they received :headbang:

That is a good point, Shane - the lighting for the pictures is important. Several of the Franklins in my set have very strong bell lines, but because my lighting didn't pick them up just right, they look washed out.

Although, NGC does make mistakes. I have seen more than one coin like Sy's - designated as FBL, but don't cut it in my book. In hand viewing, and strict criteria, is necessary to fully judge the lines.

Another thing to keep in mind and Sy's coin pictured above could illustrate thi some.....a lot of coin images flatten out the fine details so when it comes to buying FBL or even FT coins.....there is no substitute for seeing the coins in person.

I sent 26 mint set toner into NGC a little over a month ago and got quite a few FBL coins and 3 FT roosies. When I looked at the image of my coins while waiting for the coins to come back the torch lines looked to be lacking a lot of detail so I thought maybe I just got lucky and caught NGC on a good day :screwy:

In hand though the strikes were much stronger and I completely agreed with the designation they received :headbang:

I totally agree. Most of the time if i image a coin straight on or if it has really strong luster it tends to make the bell lines look flat but when imaged on an angle they magically appear.