• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1856- S gold $ Guess the grade, I will provide actual grade at the end!

18 posts in this topic

I am leaning towards an XF - AU details grade. I know how difficult small gold is to photo but this one appears to have been wiped. Also the obverse ding is rather deep .

I see a few striations but not enough to say wiped. As previously stated deep obverse ding. Not a details grade. I Still say AU53

This one was a little disappointing to me. It used to reside in an older (mid to late 90's) ANACS holder as an AU55. Its probably close to 58 if it didnt have the nick in the field on the obverse. I am about to sell it so I cracked it out and sent it to NGC hoping to get an AU53 or straight crossover. There isnt much difference in price for the lower grade but an NGC holder tends to sell better so I figured I had nothing to lose....I should have never taken it out....what do you think its worth now? Send it in again?

Kinda makes me upset because I know the coin has not been touched (except to ship it off ) since the early 1900's and there are much worse in NGC AU55 holders with very visible hairlines (minus the nick) Ive seen at heritage....

94469.jpg.4af29aadce259c38ae8349bbd3cad524.jpg

Regardless of what you might think the graders at NGC know better .

Maybe ANACS was lose when they graded the coin . You could have sent the coin off in the ANACS holder and listed Au 53 as a minimum grade .

It is still a low mintage coin with a value of between $700 - $ 900 in the details holder. You can try PCGS but I think you will still get a details grade as the coin does have a cleaned look to it .

I could crack it out again and get it in a NNC or CGCS holder at MS68, throw it on the bay and describe it as the highest graded gold dollar ever! WORTH MILLIONS, but you can own it today for $3000.00!! :idea:

I could crack it out again and get it in a NNC or CGCS holder at MS68, throw it on the bay and describe it as the highest graded gold dollar ever! WORTH MILLIONS, but you can own it today for $3000.00!! :idea:

Personally, I don't find this very amusing. There are enough sleazy sellers on eBay already.

Chris

Chris,

Rest assured, I would never do that! :jokealert:

I've been going through some others in older ANACS holders, Found a couple that could have been cleaned but not stated on the holder, NGC probably got it right, it is very boarderline though.

might be au details but it is an au 58 details

Michael , I think it is a lower then Au 58. I was thinking Au 50 .

hmmmmmmmmmmmm you are correct

after second thought i think it is much closer to AU 50 THAN 58

Too hard to say much without bigger pictures ? :D what about the cert lookup, did you go there !

I know the coin has not been touched (except to ship it off ) since the early 1900's

How ? what was it stored in and since when ?

Even if this is true.. it could have been lightly brushed by a dealer who didn't know better before you got it. Does look kinda "shiny". Maybe it was dirty and did get a brush

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=2539780-001

Did they miss a bit of dirt on the obverse in a couple of places ? noticed a black spot between the lettering at 9 o clock..

The only noticable dirt is around both "s" in states on the obverse. This coin was stored in an envelope with about 20 other gold dollars, within a small box with other coins, since our family aquired them in 1904. They were still in the envelope but moved to a safety deposit box in the 60's. They remained there until the 1995 when my brother and I inherited them and sent some of the key dates into ANACS.

I have included pictures of another one (which was stored in the same envelope)that I sent into NGC in 2005 fo grade referenence. This particular type 2 is known for weak strikes so an AU58 grade is not out of the question but the nick does knock it down some. After looking at others I would say a solid AU55 details.

NGC could be holding a grudge...I'll explain later.

94507.jpg.330146065b4a7f2475d9c8c87ef5c8a9.jpg

94508.jpg.3f13a847534969bd5b8eb0b555ed1064.jpg

94509.jpg.a1b1acea8922dc6c08166c583d40eb46.jpg

I'd grade the coin AU-50 based on the pictures. The rim nicks on the reverse are disturbing, but the sharpness grade looks to be a little better than that, and the strike for a Type II gold dollar is excpetional.

If the surfaces have been polished or whizzed, all bets are off, but it looks like the coin is natural from the the pictures.