• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mercury Dime........Guess The Grade. ***Grade Revealed***

19 posts in this topic

Have you ever just bought a coin, for the sake of buying a coin? I havn't been able to add a new coin to the collection for quite some time because nothing has been available, so I just decided to buy this to satisfy that itch of a new purchase.

Care to offer a grade and thoughts on the piece?

1917O7.jpg1917R7.jpg

Very nice! And yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'm really hoping I can avoid the itch so that I can save up for a couple of bigger purchases.

I'll guess 65 FB on that nice Merc.

Nice Merc. If you've got to buy you've got to buy. I'll go MS66 and clearly FB. I like the toned rims. They add to naturalness of the coin. The reverse is probably the best strike in a Merc that I have seen. Axe edge, bands it's got it all. Obverse is exceptional in strike quality.

Carl

Very attractive Mercury dime. I know very little about grading them but Jason & SilverHawk are probably on the money at 65 or 66 FB.

Some of my favorite coins have been ones I bought just because.

65 obv. 66FSB rev

I really don't like the toning though (obv mainly), it almost looks like carbon spots, but the strike is pristine, and the flashy white areas are amazing!

Well, I'd say 90% of my purchases are knee-jerk reactions & just because. There is no method to my madness.

As for the grade on this beautiful Merc, not just going with the crowd, but my first instinct was telling me 66 FB all the way!! Nice pickup & I like the little bits of crustiness on the obverse.

MS 65 FB stands in my mind. Yes, I have purchased coins because of the "itch". Mine usually are not as nice as your Mercury dime.

Great pickup. Hard to tell from the pics--when was that coin graded? Looks like 2/13/84. I would submit for a crossover/regrade in a New York minute.

Carl