• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artificial Toning?

17 posts in this topic

The toning looks artificial to me. It is too dark around the edges given the fact that the centers are not toned at all. Usually edge toning will be accompanied by spots or other toning in the centers. I also don’t care for the dark purple and black toning which fades almost immediately to bright white. Usually there is a fade from the darker colors to a light brown or golden color as your eye moves toward the center.

How does one actually create artificial toning like this?

One of the methods I've heard is putting the coin in a potato and baking it for a while, but that generally yields fully toned pieces.

1000% AT....colors are all wrong (Browns mixed with dark blue/purple), the progression of the color is wrong and the pattern is wrong and looks like something was applied with a q-tip to both sides at the same width around both obverse and reverse rims.

I think the verdict has been reached and I agree with it. For me the clincher was the coin edges on both the obverse and the reverse. I do not recall ever seeing a NT coin that had the entire rim edges almost totally toned.

Before you write that coin off as AT take a look at my 1830 Bust Half .

Pretend that my coin did not have the CAC sticker, would you think my coin was AT ??

Tom – you saw this one in hand a couple of years ago at Coin Fest.

My coin looks to have a light dip and storage in a coin album . Eye appeal on this coin is high , although I usually prefer the non dipped look this is one of those coins I find very appealing .

94269.jpg.c8cbaccd9761a7c19515f04566203f8d.jpg

Mark, your coin has secondary toning after one, or possibly more than one, dip. It is a look that is not all that unusual and many folks like the look. However, I dislike the appearance of your coin mightily and am disappointed with CAC in that they put a sticker on the piece. Having said that, your coin does not look like the BTW in the thread other than it has deep color on the edges. The color of the BTW is just not natural, in my opinion, and was not formed after being dipped.

Mark, your coin has secondary toning after one, or possibly more than one, dip. It is a look that is not all that unusual and many folks like the look. However, I dislike the appearance of your coin mightily and am disappointed with CAC in that they put a sticker on the piece. Having said that, your coin does not look like the BTW in the thread other than it has deep color on the edges. The color of the BTW is just not natural, in my opinion, and was not formed after being dipped.

I remember when I showed you the coin . I said “Tom do you think this one was dipped” You smiled, shrugged your shoulders and said yes definitely.

If you remember when I first started posting here 2 years ago here I liked that dipped look a lot . Even though my taste has changed from the dipped to original look I still loved toned coins. Every time I see this one when I visit my coins at the bank I like how it looks. This was the first certified Bust Half I purchased on EBAY when I started collecting again back in 2008.

I like the BTW but have to agree that it is most likely AT.

I pretty much new ahead of time that it was AT.

It photographs very well with the right lighting and looks nice in hand... The aesthetics are the only reason I purchased it. I really didn't purchase it for numismatic reasons.

Thanks the input and feedback everyone!