• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on these coins, please?( sorry they aren't US coins)

11 posts in this topic

A friend of mine( a Japanese who live in Japan )tried to submit 2 coins via a dealer in Tokyo. This dealer is the only dealer in Japan who submit coins for customers.

My friend showed 2 coins to this dealer and the deler refused to submit them because they are both AT and they do not want to hurt their reputation by submitting AT coins. Do you agree with the dealer?

First coin (Olympic 1000yen)

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1305-1.jpg

IMG_1304-1.jpg

IMG_1307-1.jpg

IMG_1306-1.jpg

Second coin (50 sen)

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

I've seen US coins with a similar toning pattern stored in cardboard and cellophane. My vote would be NT. I don't understand how submitting a questionable coin would reflect poorly on the submitting dealer. Perhaps standards are tougher in Japan than in the US.

I don't think they are AT. I also don't think that his reputation will be hurt by submitting AT coins - the TPG's have no way of knowing. Or, it might be a Japanese cultural thing, saving face and all.

Of course his reputation wouldn't be hurt, NGC doesn't care !

Besides, the coins look fine to me too ! thats 3/3 replies all agree

I think that the toning on both coins is natural. It is the kind of toning that results when pieces are stored in non sulfur free paper or cardboard. The second piece has a “double mint set” look to it which is a combination of paper and cardboard toning. It looks to be fairly dark and widespread. The first piece has some lighting toning and haze which would indicate that the toning process is less advanced.

From the images I would imagine that neither is AT. In fact, I own a 1964 1000 yen with very similar, though somewhat deeper, toning to the one you have imaged and my coin is in a PCGS MS66 holder.

Thank you for your opinions.

7 members replied so far and all are positive for NT.

My friend must be happy to read this thread :)

I think there was an announcement made by NGC about a year ago that they would stop accepting submission from those who keep on submitting ATd coins intentionally.

This dealer is very nervous about this and I was also refused submitting my coins once for the same reason(possible AT) I later asked Mr. Feld to submit my coins instead and they all got slabbed in NGC holders. hm

TomB, did you know that I've been accumulating 1964 olympic coin for a while?

I have an ambition to own all the 1964 minted and I already own 200......only 9,999,800 to go!

I have an ambition to own all the 1964 minted and I already own 200......only 9,999,800 to go!

It's good to have goals, Toyo! :o

Ahh good catch Toyo, yes NGC will be preferential when it comes to coin doctors ! if they catch someone deceptive !

7/7 thinking it is NT I could hardly see them holding a grudge against whoever submits these :) I will do it for you if I have to ! :)

You should ask this dealer to talk to NGC about his worries. He seems overly paranoid, maybe they can put his mind at ease a bit..