• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincolns

10 posts in this topic

I am not a photographer myself, I actually have my sister photograph all my pieces for me as she's got the nice camera. What I do know is that lighting is more important than the particular camera. I've had the best results using natural light at a 45º angle. I'll probably get eaten out for this post by the picture junkies but that's fine by me.

I didn't get a chance to try to take any better pics, maybe next weekend. The 1937 is in a NGC MS67RD holder and the 1943 is in a MS68 holder (not one of the big 3, can't remember which one though). Do you think it's worth a switch? I know it's not a 68.

I didn't get a chance to try to take any better pics, maybe next weekend. The 1937 is in a NGC MS67RD holder and the 1943 is in a MS68 holder (not one of the big 3, can't remember which one though). Do you think it's worth a switch? I know it's not a 68.

Sorry to say this, but I think that 37 is overgraded at least a point. I see several marks, notably on the O in ONE and on Lincoln's profile that would limit it to a 66 IMO. I would cross the 43 if you want an MS-66 certified piece. It might get 67 but there isn't a chance at 68 IMO. Just know what a 66 costs before you spend $20 to get yours re-slabbed.

I’m concerned about the 1943 steel cent. In their original state these coins should have uniform frosty luster. They should not have any bright spots. I see a couple of areas, especially in the reverse, that would lead me to be concerned that the piece as been re-plated. Such coins were generally available a decade or more ago.

If the coin is in an NGC holder, it's okay. If it's not, I'm not sure than it is alright.

Here is a fully original 1943 cent.

1943CentO.jpg1943CentR.jpg