• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could you look at these coins please...

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm now in my mid-40's and shamelessly beginning to wonder if it is time to consider cashing in some of my coins towards retirement/middle-age crisis. I won't blast all of my coins at you, but here's 3 Morgans to get the ball rolling. I'm pondering whether I should get some of them graded. I'd certainly like to see them in a more consistent and attractive display (slab) etc. Lighting wasn't great, and there are some small scratches on the plastic holders.

Thanks.

4389247530_9e20e66b0b.jpg

4389247036_3c7381dce1.jpg

4388480361_a4b36bf642.jpg

4388480865_8abeaf91b1.jpg

4388482015_f4280519c4.jpg

4389250624_fbd8745c09.jpg

Howdy and welcome to the boards. Both the 1883-O and 1884-O appear mint state, but neither look to be of high enough grade to justify the expense of certification, especially if your goal is to maximize your return on investment. The 1882 appears to be a low end AU that has been cleaned.

Hi, and thanks for your comments. Yes the 1883-O and 1884-O are both uncirculated. The slabs they are currently in are a bit worn and scratched and not displaying the coins at their best. The 1883-0 slab has a crack on it to the left over the stars. So if I keep them I would probably want them done in something more attractive for display. I saw the Dollar and Cents deal recently and thought that looks like a fairly economical way to do this - if I go down that path. I'm undecided what to do with my collection at this point. I think my Peace Dollars and assorted bullion are where the value is.

Hi, and thanks for your comments. Yes the 1883-O and 1884-O are both uncirculated. The slabs they are currently in are a bit worn and scratched and not displaying the coins at their best. The 1883-0 slab has a crack on it to the left over the stars. So if I keep them I would probably want them done in something more attractive for display. I saw the Dollar and Cents deal recently and thought that looks like a fairly economical way to do this - if I go down that path. I'm undecided what to do with my collection at this point. I think my Peace Dollars and assorted bullion are where the value is.

Hey and welcome,pocketchange,

Alot depends on how many coins your collection consists of and especially rarity and condition. Grading is at least $16.00 per coin at NGC after the initial membership fee, and I really wouldn't submit for grading the dates you selected so far.I hate to use the term common dates,but that's what they are.An 1883-O in MS 62-63 will sell raw on ebay for $20.I've gotten a few for even under $15.Graded,you might get $30-$35. There are some rare Morgans that bring premiums even in very circulated condition as well as Peace dollars you mentioned,though less good dates exist.

I'll offer my plug: If you want to insure and mail me the coins and a few dollars for return postage, I'll appraise them for you, create a spreadsheet with grades and dealer values, and return them right away. And I do this at no cost at all (it is not an "offer to buy").

Several others on the boards will gladly do the same thing, I believe. Of course, your best course is to find a more convenient dealer, but if you do so, make sure to get at least there appraisals/offers.

Good luck! Hope you can maximize your return!