• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would you do? (1969 s ddo lincoln)

12 posts in this topic

just got this little gem the other day, but it has some issues..

DSCN0107.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

i've done a ton of reading, but i can't land on a solid 'plan' for it.

half of people will say 'send it to NCS' and the other half says 'never send copper to NCS'

some might say 'acetone it', some will say 'acetone ruins the skin/don't acetone copper'

all i want is to get it in a proper slab with a grade assignment. no 'environmental damage' or anything.. think it's possible?

i was also told that i can send it to heritage as is and they'll handle the conservation/slabbing/sale.. i emailed them but haven't heard back yet - is that true?

what would you do?

thank you

Sonic cleaning in just plain distilled water will remove the surface corrosion however if the corrosion has eaten into the coin, a mark (scar) will be left where the surface corrosion was. Acetone won't remove it completely, some of the corrosion will be left behind and it will leave a dark spot where the green spot was.

distilled water.. never heard of that method, but i like it.

i'd be nervous to use acetone.. maybe if it was a $100 coin but not this one

apparently to send a coin to NCS i need a membership, blah blah blah.. i can't just send in one coin? and besides that, i've been told to *never send copper to NCS* - i'm just lost here

i'll probably just put it up on ebay as is and let the next guy deal with it . sigh.

it's genuine. lincolns are my specialty, and it's been cross checked with plenty of books and websites.. its 'the real mccoy'

i bought it at a coin shop. it was found in circulation 2 generations before i got it.

i've listed it on ebay - $50k OBO - i can't afford to go through the time/conservation/slabbing/heritage process

i didnt mean it this way, but i guess this is a shameless plug.. lemme know wha'cha think

The "6" and the "9" don't look quite right and I'm not talking about the doubling. Are you sure the date hasn't been altered/the coin is genuine?

I feel the 1 is a bit off too. That said, everything else (less the die polish markers I can't see on that image) matches up. Not a $50k, but still around $35k (that's not a problem-free example, even if it grades out) if it's genuine.

Nice find if it's the real deal. I would take it off eBay ASAP and just send it into NCS. Take it to a trusted dealer and have them do the submission.

Wow, Link, that's pretty harsh dude. Your post stopped me in my tracks.

I certainly wouldn't trust a dealer who doesn't have enough experience with a respected TPG such as NGC/NCS to have formed an opinion as to whether to submit 'copper' or not.

I wouldn't trust a dealer who won't invest the slim change it costs to purchase a membership in a society of the profession, blah blah blah.

Nor would I trust a dealer who has to wonder what his competition would do in this situation. Or someone who has never thought of using the purest, most chemically inert substance available to conserve this coin.

All that being said, it's a really cool coin closest I have seen to the 55/55

dorkdog

You can get an NGC membership for $49.

Acetone does not hurt copper. It also will do little or nothing for the corrosion on this coin. It needs to be treated by a professional at this point. There is no guarrantee this coin will certify problem free as it currently is, or after it is treated. You might as well let them work on it.