• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 American Veterans Disabled for Life Silver Dollar

35 posts in this topic

This silver dollar ( Uncirculated and Proof) goes on sale Thursday Feb. 25 at noon EST on the US Mint Website. The surcharges of this coin go to the Disabled Veterans' LIFE Memorial Foundation. Are you buying or passing and why?

2010.jpg

I am a military man so I will be buying, however I don't really care for the design.

I agree Jaime. I am not thrilled with the obverse design but will buy at least one coin because I am a veteran and support the cause.

My great-grandfather, Claude Harrison, 91 years old, is a disabled Veteran. I will be buying one of these, along with several other members of my family.

9532_1220034977129_1116556705_30698.jpg

Your great-grandfather, Chad? Geez, you make me feel old. My Dad was a WWII Vet. He would have been 95 at the end of this month.

God bless your great-grandfather!

Chris

My father served 30 years Army ('69 to '99) as were both his bothers who each earned a Purple Heart in Vietnam. I plan on buying the several of the MS version for myself and three of the PF version for the veterans in my family.

I am going to buy a couple of both strikes. I am a veteran and the money is going to a very good cause. I too am not impressed with the design but I do collect the modern commemoratives and I guess they all can't be winners... (shrug)

I do like the Scouts design though and looking foward to getting my hands on a few of those! :)

The ranks among WWII vets are certainly getting thinner.

Thanks for the info. I need a proof and MS example to keep my set current.

The ranks among WWII vets are certainly getting thinner.

My father passed away in 1997. While he was still alive, according to AEX-POW, WWII vets were dying at the rate of 1000 per day.

Chris

I'm not sure I'm going to buy one. I probably will in the end because it's a worthy cause, and I've been keeping up with a type set of the modern commemorative coins.

I don't like the obverse at all because it looks like a retread of the Little Rock, Arkansas desegregation coin. That coin looked silly and unattractive, and one would have thought that the mint would have known better than to have repeated a mistake.

Edited to add:

I know that the obverse of the medal is dated from the mid 19th century, but this piece was issued in conjunction with the June 1864 Philadelphia Sanitary Fair. The obverese of this piece is more visually interesting than the one for the modern disabled veterans dollar.

PhilSanFairO.jpgPhilSanFairR.jpg

I'm not sure I'm going to buy one. I probably will in the end because it's a worthy cause, and I've been keeping up with a type set of the modern commemorative coins.

I don't like the obverse at all because it looks like a retread of the Little Rock, Arkansas desegregation coin. That coin looked silly and unattractive, and one would have thought that the mint would have known better than to have repeated a mistake.

Edited to add:

I know that the obverse of the medal is dated from the mid 19th century, but this piece was issued in conjunction with the June 1864 Philadelphia Sanitary Fair. The obverese of this piece is more visually interesting than the one for the modern disabled veterans dollar.

PhilSanFairO.jpgPhilSanFairR.jpg

Bill, I think the design on your 1864 medal is much nicer, and I agree with you that the latest design is too similar (and ugly) to the Little Rock commem. It's a good thing I'm not trying to keep current with all of the modern commems, because I am going to pass on it.

Chris

Earlier, I had stated that I was not going to purchase any of these commems. However, the thought of this commem leaves me irritated and disgusted and I just want to get this off my chest.

Before leaving the States for England in 1943, a surgeon at Camp Blanding, Florida performing a "routine" tonsillectomy on Dad had allowed blood to get into his lungs, and he contracted a deathly case of pneumonia. The Army flew my Mom in from D.C. and a priest was giving him last rites, but he somehow survived. The xrays showed that he had severe scarring on his lungs from the pneumonia and there were also lesions evident from asbestosis that he contracted as a construction worker prior to entering the service.

My Dad was an ex-POW who was one of only two original members of his company to survive the Normandy invasion from Omaha Beach until his capture in January, 1945. He was a combat medic who was wounded twice, received two Bronze Stars, participated in five major battle campaigns and never left the front lines the entire time because medics were in short supply. It wasn't until after he was freed from the POW camp and awaiting transport home at 7th General Hospital in London, that he learned that his records had been lost in the "Battle of the Bulge".

In 1946, after his discharge, my Dad filed a claim for Veterans Benefits, but he was only awarded compensation for a 10% disability because of the lost records. For 50 years, my Mom and Dad had contested this award and felt that he should have rightfully been entitled to 100% disability. Finally, in 1996 they both went to Bay Pines Veterans Hospital in St. Petersburg where Dad was to appear before a review board. Mom gave Dad's paperwork to a "clerk" who accepted it somewhat reluctantly. Mom noticed that she was acting a bit strange, and when she took Dad's paperwork with her down the hall (in the opposite direction of the hearing room), Mom followed her and witnessed her throwing it into a trashcan. Mom retrieved it, and during the hearing, she filed a formal complaint. Later that year, Dad was finally awarded 100% compensation but it was not retroactive. He died 16 months later and the official cause of death was COPD.

I have often wondered how many times in the past that his paperwork had been filed in a trashcan. He was cheated out of more than $500,000 that he earned the hard way. Yes, he was a veteran of a mere three years during the nightmare known as World War II, but he was disabled for life and the federal government didn't relish the thought of paying untold thousands of claims for many of the returning GI's who sacrificed themselves for our freedom.

To me, this commemorative dollar is a joke.

Chris

would you please show the results of the grades. Thank You.

I already know the results.....I just have to see if NGC agrees with me!! :grin:

Out of 30 Proofs, I think 9 are PF70UC.

Out of 25 Unc, I think 16 are MS70.

I will post my results!!

Earlier, I had stated that I was not going to purchase any of these commems. However, the thought of this commem leaves me irritated and disgusted and I just want to get this off my chest.

Before leaving the States for England in 1943, a surgeon at Camp Blanding, Florida performing a "routine" tonsillectomy on Dad had allowed blood to get into his lungs, and he contracted a deathly case of pneumonia. The Army flew my Mom in from D.C. and a priest was giving him last rites, but he somehow survived. The xrays showed that he had severe scarring on his lungs from the pneumonia and there were also lesions evident from asbestosis that he contracted as a construction worker prior to entering the service.

My Dad was an ex-POW who was one of only two original members of his company to survive the Normandy invasion from Omaha Beach until his capture in January, 1945. He was a combat medic who was wounded twice, received two Bronze Stars, participated in five major battle campaigns and never left the front lines the entire time because medics were in short supply. It wasn't until after he was freed from the POW camp and awaiting transport home at 7th General Hospital in London, that he learned that his records had been lost in the "Battle of the Bulge".

In 1946, after his discharge, my Dad filed a claim for Veterans Benefits, but he was only awarded compensation for a 10% disability because of the lost records. For 50 years, my Mom and Dad had contested this award and felt that he should have rightfully been entitled to 100% disability. Finally, in 1996 they both went to Bay Pines Veterans Hospital in St. Petersburg where Dad was to appear before a review board. Mom gave Dad's paperwork to a "clerk" who accepted it somewhat reluctantly. Mom noticed that she was acting a bit strange, and when she took Dad's paperwork with her down the hall (in the opposite direction of the hearing room), Mom followed her and witnessed her throwing it into a trashcan. Mom retrieved it, and during the hearing, she filed a formal complaint. Later that year, Dad was finally awarded 100% compensation but it was not retroactive. He died 16 months later and the official cause of death was COPD.

I have often wondered how many times in the past that his paperwork had been filed in a trashcan. He was cheated out of more than $500,000 that he earned the hard way. Yes, he was a veteran of a mere three years during the nightmare known as World War II, but he was disabled for life and the federal government didn't relish the thought of paying untold thousands of claims for many of the returning GI's who sacrificed themselves for our freedom.

To me, this commemorative dollar is a joke.

Chris

I am sorry for your situation. We all know that a lot of this went on and we also know how certain minorites etc were treated. I am a Viet Nam era Veteran and was stationed in San Francisco during part of that time and saw how they were treated. This was a time where many didnt acknowledge the fact that they were in the Military because if it. I was involved in an automobile accident at the time and was put in Oakland Naval Hospital. It wasnt publicized very much and I was unaware of it. This was a receiving hospital for the wounded and maimed from Viet Nam and they tried to keep them segregated from the rest of the Military and kept them on a separate floor. One day I happened to be in an area where some of them had visitors. . I saw people missing one,two ,three and even all four appendages. I remarked about this to an officer who visited me to see if the Navy could file a claim to recover expenses and he told me that while he was waiting for the elevator that a voice asked him if "he could push the up button " and he turned around to see a sailor with no arms

We all have stories. I will probably not purchase the coin/s, however, some of the cost goes to a worthy cause. I already donate to "Paralyzed Veterans" etc so it isnt a reason for me,however, it could be for some .

I already know the results.....I just have to see if NGC agrees with me!! :grin:

I will post my results!!

WOW!!

The US Mint must really be lowering their standards...I usually buy 5 of each strike for the modern comms and my returns have come back with 4 out of 5 getting 70s. And once in awhile...all 70s. Please post your results when you get them. I do believe you will be very surprised with the returns....Best of luck!

This one looks really nice, having browsed the sell prices of PF70 UC on the bay for a bit

Looks better than the mint images can show..

WOW!!

The US Mint must really be lowering their standards...I usually buy 5 of each strike for the modern comms and my returns have come back with 4 out of 5 getting 70s. And once in awhile...all 70s. Please post your results when you get them. I do believe you will be very surprised with the returns....Best of luck!

I don't agree. Its luck of the draw what coins you get. Each die strikes hundreds if not thousands of coins.

Also, some designs are more prone to imperfections IMHO. Pop report checking what % of 70's for coins issued in the same year should confirm somewhat.

Lincoln 40.1% PF 70's 6344 of 15806 graded

Braille 13.4% PF 70's 532 of 3941 graded

Both 2009 P proofs. How so different if its not the intricacies of the design ?

I believe this is the perfect example. The Braille coin has a bookcase which is a lot of fine lines. Lincoln has his speech ! Letters vs a boy and a desk and his hand, a tool, a bookcase.. big difference !

MS could be different, I used proof since it is struck to the highest mint standard. But I don't think there would be any different story here. Lincoln should be at least twice as easy to obtain..

HAD TO LOOK

Lincoln MS 84.6% 7499 of 8856 (wow!! is this right NGC?!)

Braille MS 45.8% 1396 of 3051

I will post my results!!

WOW!!

I am getting really good at spotting the 70's. I have about a 90% accuracy right now and hope to get it better. I had one submission where I bought 42 presidential proof sets and I sent in 21 coins that I though were 70 and they all came back 70!! :acclaim:

I will post the results when I get them.

This one looks really nice, having browsed the sell prices of PF70 UC on the bay for a bit

Looks better than the mint images can show..

WOW!!

I don't agree. Its luck of the draw what coins you get. Each die strikes hundreds if not thousands of coins.

Also, some designs are more prone to imperfections IMHO. Pop report checking what % of 70's for coins issued in the same year should confirm somewhat.

Lincoln 40.1% PF 70's 6344 of 15806 graded

Braille 13.4% PF 70's 532 of 3941 graded

Both 2009 P proofs. How so different if its not the intricacies of the design ?

I believe this is the perfect example. The Braille coin has a bookcase which is a lot of fine lines. Lincoln has his speech ! Letters vs a boy and a desk and his hand, a tool, a bookcase.. big difference !

MS could be different, I used proof since it is struck to the highest mint standard. But I don't think there would be any different story here. Lincoln should be at least twice as easy to obtain..

HAD TO LOOK

Lincoln MS 84.6% 7499 of 8856 (wow!! is this right NGC?!)

Braille MS 45.8% 1396 of 3051

Going by the pop report is a bad idea......what about all of those dealers that request 70 as the min grade when they send in a bulk submission.

Don't they do that with consistency ? why would they SOMETIMES do it ;)

Of course, there is always going to be give or take because of individuals ! but that applies TO ALL COINS

I think its obvious, clear as day. The numbers can't be lying that much ? massively..