• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC STAR Color or Cameo?

NGC STAR  

48 members have voted

1. 1. NGC STAR

9 posts in this topic

As far as I know and please let me know if I'm mistaken,NGC awards the STAR for either outstanding color or Obverse DMPL/PL with great cameo.I have both types and haven't seen any other type. Even though I'm a dmpl head,I think the star is definitely most appropriate for great color but not so much for the other type. So,let's talk STAR.Color or Cameo?

I voted "color", but there are coins that have gotten the star for other reasons. It appears that sometimes, booming luster, a terrific strike, or a coin that just has "it" will get the star designation.

I didn't vote because there was no option to vote "BOTH".

It is true that I have seen more star designations given for toning, but that is due to the fact that I collect (hoard) toners more frequently than DMPL's. However, in my recent "freebie" submission, I included an 1878 8TF that received an MS62*. It is a blast white coin with a DMPL obverse but not even a PL reverse. It's the first time that I have ever submitted a non-toner coin hoping to get a star.

Chris

I voted color....I don't get how a just miss designation like Cam or Dcam warrants a star...I mean strike is part of the eye appeal for some but they aren't giving out stars for just miss FT or FBL or FS...so why give it for another just missed designation? (tsk)

I voted "color", but there are coins that have gotten the star for other reasons. It appears that sometimes, booming luster, a terrific strike, or a coin that just has "it" will get the star designation.

i also voted color and i agree with the above;

I voted color....I don't get how a just miss designation like Cam or Dcam warrants a star...I mean strike is part of the eye appeal for some but they aren't giving out stars for just miss FT or FBL or FS...so why give it for another just missed designation? (tsk)

The star is for outstanding eye appeal. A one sided Cam or Dcam could add to eye appeal for some. A just miss FT or FBL doesn't really add to eye appeal.

For the record, I voted color. I'm not really into Cam coins. However, I do not own a single star coin. Maybe that's because I'm not into M&M coins (Morgans and Moderns) where most of the stars are given.