• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this 1901-S $10 Liberty

16 posts in this topic

It appears to have a very good strike. Both sides appear to have enough bag marks to to keep it at a MS61 or MS62. You said it looked better in person. I'm guessing it looks much better. Good luck with your submission and I'd like to hear how it turns out too.

David

It's hard to grade this from the photo, but I'd say it's somewhere in the AU-58 to MS-62 range. I doubt that it is a really a strict Mint State piece because of the marks I see in the field. Usually those kind of surfaces indicate an AU coin, but the detail looks strong enough to "market grade" in the low MS area.

i cant tell much from the photos but it looks like the coin could go either way

a liner coin that could go one day into a graded regular non problem/details holder

i bet if you sent in the coin a few times it would get into a graded holder and of couse i have not seen the coin in hand then it could be different

it is not worth sending in the coin of this value for multiple submissions as the coin is worth as much in the holder as out of the holder even in a graded non dteails holder

and with this coin in an unc details holder it is ironically worth more OUT OF THE HOLDER RAW

again from the photos looks like the coin could have graded but it is a judgment call by the services

i have seen numerious genuine early pre- 1815 coins in pcgs holders only later to be cracked out and then in graeded holders worth thousands more

go figure

such is the subjective nature of grading

Gold is going to be somewhat scratchy because of use but the scratch that sticks out to me is the right of the "1" and Left of the "star" and at the neck line

Based upon that scan, it would appear to me that the coin has been cleaned, and that would be the reason why it did not grade. As for the marks, I don't see anything that is out of the ordinary for a gradeable, circulated Liberty $10 gold.