• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new twist on guess the grade:

22 posts in this topic

A new twist on guess the grade:

Guess which coin received a CAC sticker.

Only one of these was given a green CAC sticker.

Grades are as follows:

1910 - D Barber Dime PCGS MS 64

1911 - D Barber Dime PCGS MS 66

1916 Mercury Dime PCGS MS 66 FB

Some notes on the coins not obvious from the photos:

1910 – D : Somewhat dusty tone of the obverse

1911 – D : Very minor pin scratch on the reverse below the “dime” not visible on the photo. You can only see it at certain angels

1916 Mercury : A couple of minor hits on the pole not visible from the photo. The bands are fully split.

Guess which one received the CAC , comments on the coins are also welcome.

93347.jpg.4a2d47d28c2f607fcd6fdaaf91a19f0d.jpg

93348.jpg.3d9dd06355f099d565f584f1f999418a.jpg

93349.jpg.edcbf31e5851f12182c7b47d866567c4.jpg

The Dime looks like it is missing part of the band at the top so I say no CAC for this one.

IMO that coin would not make it into a NGC FB holder.

I think the 1910-D looks like it got a 1 point upgrade for the toning.

1911-D Got the CAC sticker

The Dime looks like it is missing part of the band at the top so I say no CAC for this one.

IMO that coin would not make it into a NGC FB holder.

I think the 1910-D looks like it got a 1 point upgrade for the toning.

1911-D Got the CAC sticker

The bands are fully split on the Mercury – the photo does not show this properly that was why I made a note of it :-} Look closely at the photo , the lighting is what makes the bands look like they are not split . I had to make note for each coin because there were aspects about each coin that was not noticeable in my photos. The Mercury was difficult to photo because of the tone.

Here is a close up that shows the bands better as well as the hits on the lower part of the pole. The lower bands are also fully split even though they look as if they may not be.

93350.jpg.858120634beedf4cc146673f3dd042d6.jpg

My guess is the 1911-D got the CAC sticker. It appears have really nice original luster with no defects that jump out at you.

I don't like 1910-D as an MS-64 at all. The obverse looks "busy" with marks and the toned reverse is a negative to me. It looks like the toning has gone a bit far and that the luster under is is impaired as a result.

The 1916 Mercury looks pleasant, but given that it has been graded MS-66 FB, it's nothing special given the grade. I think that it might have some spots that would not please me. Once you get to MS-66, I get very fussy. :makepoint:

1910-D got the bean because it is PQ for its grade MS64. The 1916 Mercury and 1911-D are both pretty special but they already got their reward with the MS66 designation.

Carl

And the winner is :

The 1916 Mercury dime.

This coin has a lot of luster and other then a couple of minor hints on the pole smooth surfaces. It does have great eye appeal , the colors on the obverse look very nice in hand. It is a keeper for sure.

I thought the 1911 D would have been certified so when I got it back from CAC I looked real close to see if I could figure out why it was not. As I mentioned there is a small pin scratch on the reverse that is barley noticeable unless you really look for it. I am pretty sure that is the main reason it did not certify especially when you are talking about an MS 66 coin. I have an NGC Star MS 66 FH SLQ with the same type of mark that was also rejected. It is very subtle but there non the less. Other then that this Barber has very good luster , nice color , strong strike and clean fields. There are a couple of small hits on the face which I believe are acceptable for the grade.

I like the 1910 D but the darker reverse tone along with the dusty tone that mutes the luster a bit on the obverse probably held it back . I have submitted over 60 coins to CAC and from what I have seen John A will tend not to CAC coins with a certain tone. Personally I like that dark tone , probably because my favorite color is dark red and burgundy !

So, do I get anything for winning?

Hey, I just realized that there are no emoticons. Now what am I going to do? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Chris

Hey, I just realized that there are no emoticons. Now what am I going to do? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Chris

Yes I give you permission to gloat for a while :-} :cool:

Chris

Ummmm....I got it first :makepoint: