• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 1971-D PROOF Ike Dollar -- How 'bout that?

13 posts in this topic

I wonder if he's joking or just plain crazy. Look at some of the other listings; what isn't bogus is grossly inflated in price:

1972 Eisenhower Dollar PCGS AU58 Type II --> $199.99

Numismedia lists this coin in MS 61 at $156.00 (retail)

1884-O Morgan NGC MS63, "Upgrade" (average coin) $99.99

Numismedia lists this coin in MS63 at $45.60 (retail); the coin is mostly white with slight (average) toning around the edges - nothing special.

I've contacted eBay and the seller; it will be interesting to see what results. I made an offer of $1 (remember free shipping) with a comment about it being the true value of the coin...Maybe the seller will come to his or her senses and spend the coin at a local grocery store!

No doubt the seller thinks he has something special. Hopefully its not based upon what he was told when he acquired this piece.

Whoa! Backpedal just a bit.

This feller has a very big boat with a lot of fishing lines thrown over the side.

I received this response from the seller:

Email #1

Please note, we have forwarded your concerns to the vendor in our network responsible for that listing. You should receive a response from that vendor within 24 hours. Our eBay policy supersedes any individual vendor's policies and states that every coin advertised by the avonlea_consulting network is warranted to be authentic & as described (unless otherwise noted) & we guarantee that if purchased item is afterwards graded by ANA acceptable 3rd party (ANACS/NGC/PCGS) & deemed to be non-authentic or otherwise not as described (outside of grading),we offer a full refund

Email #2

On February 8, 2010, vendor stated that "since this coin's authenticity has been called into question, item will be removed and sent into ANACS for certification consideration"

Looks like a checks and balances practice is in place...I wonder if a category for "questionable online listings" may be in order for a category in the Coins Forum?

With enough support, we can probably make it happen.

Looks like a checks and balances practice is in place...I wonder if a category for "questionable online listings" may be in order for a category in the Coins Forum?

I don't know if that would be such a good idea from a legal standpoint. By allowing it, NGC could be liable if some sue-crazy person wanted to pursue it.

Chris

I received this response from the seller:

Email #1

Please note, we have forwarded your concerns to the vendor in our network responsible for that listing. You should receive a response from that vendor within 24 hours. Our eBay policy supersedes any individual vendor's policies and states that every coin advertised by the avonlea_consulting network is warranted to be authentic & as described (unless otherwise noted) & we guarantee that if purchased item is afterwards graded by ANA acceptable 3rd party (ANACS/NGC/PCGS) & deemed to be non-authentic or otherwise not as described (outside of grading),we offer a full refund

Email #2

On February 8, 2010, vendor stated that "since this coin's authenticity has been called into question, item will be removed and sent into ANACS for certification consideration"

Thats a purty slick steaming line if I ever heard one! Yesiree! :roflmao:

I don't know if that would be such a good idea from a legal standpoint. By allowing it, NGC could be liable if some sue-crazy person wanted to pursue it.

Chris

Chris,

I thought the same thing, but I did send a PM to Arch outlining the purpose and benefits of the forum while indicating the potential legal hurdles. You're right that one could theoretically argue tortious interference with a business relationship, and I attempted to make some suggestions for circumventing any legal claims. I asked him to forward the idea to NGC's legal team.

Arch replied referring me to the eBay advice forum; however, the rules quite clearly indicate that we cannot reference particular sellers, and I'm guessing auctions. I fully understand the rule, and I probably would have made the same decision. Just because you might be vindicated in court, doesn't mean that some insufficiently_thoughtful_person with a postage stamp and a check for the filing fee cannot initiate a suit with which NGC would need to respond and defend against. I forget this myself even though I have significant legal experience (i.e. I do the research/brief writing for a local law firm and have done so for the last few years). The legal system in the U.S. is the way it is for a reason; however, abuse is rampant.

The only way to truly create an eBay monitoring network with reasonable security would be to create a private forum where all of the members are personally known; however, this would grossly defeat the purpose. I would guess that everyone (well almost everyone - I need not reference some of the previous posts that were discussed on this board :devil: ) would be wise enough to avoid sham eBay auctions, and they could always use the PM function here to contact a more knowledgeable member. This would mitigate the legal issues because only the parties participating and initiating the conversation would even know that it existed.

You're right, the law-suit centric nature of society is a bit annoying. It destroys or threatens legitimate protection measures.