• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade Dollar Dip results *see updated pic"

94 posts in this topic

And what would those opposed to any type of "coin conservation" suggest be done with these coins with original unmolested with patina?

IMG_0231.jpg

Putting Obama stickers on those would be an upgrade

And what would those opposed to any type of "coin conservation" suggest be done with these coins with original unmolested with patina?

IMG_0231.jpg

Putting Obama stickers on those would be an upgrade

Those are pretty bad. No doubt the bottom one is a fountain coin.

I only read responses on the first page and very quickly skimmed the rest.

Personally, I hate dipped coins, and have never bought, owned or used even a single drop of coin dip. But this is a case where I think the coin "before" was butt ugly due to unnatural problems: a previous cleaning and poor job of recoloring. So, I don't mind that it has been stripped back. At least, the toning process has been "rebooted", and with any luck, JimBucks can put this coin into a suitable environment and let it rest and recover on its own. If a coin is going to end up being artificially toned (and what cleaned coins doesn't?), I'd prefer the artificial toning process to at least be as close to an original process as is feasible!

To put it another, more appropriate way, I dislike the "after" less than the "before".

Edited to add: I have paid to have coins professionally dipped in the past.