• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you agree with this TPG assigned grade?

7 posts in this topic

Yeah the obverse looks like its a slider UNC. Graded as MS62 because its a particularly choice AU58

Impossible to tell as usual.. coin in hand needed

If there is no rub on the obverse it could be a 63. Does look nice and flashy

Could be a 62. I have seen 62's in a huge range in both NGC and PCGS holders. Anything from how the heck did it get that grade to whomever got that graded took a beating. There is no reason really to dispute what ICG gave it, but you never know what someone else may say... :blahblah:

The dark aspects of the photo that were created by the light working with the mint luster make it hard to grade this coin. You really need to see it in person to decide.

These coins are not at all rare or scarce in this grade. If you have a chance to go to a fair sized show you might find one as or good or better that you can see in person.

I've been amazed in both directions by the five and ten dollar gold coins I've seen in MS-62 holders. Some of them have led me to ask the graders in my mind, "How could you?!!!!!" Others have had me diving for my hammer to make a quick crack out and resubmission.

It is difficult to tell from the photos, but it is quite plausible that the grade is accurate. Although ICG has a rather liberal reputation, my understanding is that they are tough on pre-1933 gold, and I have heard numerous stories of the coins crossing. It is the modern material that they tend to over grade. With that said, every service makes mistakes. I may be a bit off on this, but I don't think the difference is price is that great (<$100).