• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade,no grade?

13 posts in this topic

Back from NGC.Meant to post it sooner,but these are the best I could get.Any suggestions on getting a better photo? The Obverse is not quite this dark.The color progression is more blue on right to olive green the left.

86arc1.jpg

86arc2.jpg

It looks like bag toning to me! It looks like it could be 64, but it's hard for me to discern because you took the obverse photo at a slight angle. There looks like there might be two marks on the face, one to the right of her nose and one to the right and just below the mouth, in addition to the one on the neck vee, and I can't tell how severe they might be. Also, there seems to be a little wear in her hair, and the 86' was known to have a reasonably good strike.

Chris

I think NGC automatically photographs them now. Look up the coin using NGC's coin verification feature. I'd bet they'd have a better photograph.

There pictures are always super dark on toned coins.

It looks like bag toning to me! It looks like it could be 64, but it's hard for me to discern because you took the obverse photo at a slight angle. There looks like there might be two marks on the face, one to the right of her nose and one to the right and just below the mouth, in addition to the one on the neck vee, and I can't tell how severe they might be. Also, there seems to be a little wear in her hair, and the 86' was known to have a reasonably good strike.

Chris

Yeah Chris,I tried an angle because it wasn't getting enough light or something. Hey Dean. Nope.Not AT on this one.I thought so to at first because that much green,blue and red aren't usually seen like that. At least I hadn't come across more than one. I did see another with very similar toning except the arc was on a different side.$ilverhawk,the scuffs definitely show worse in the photos.I would have liked to not have those black marks,but they are very exaggerated.Thanks for participating. So.might as well reveal the grade.

1886label.jpg

As I said,I saw one almost identical(in colors) that didn't get a star.I was thinking this one got the star because of incredible depth and luster of the toning.This coin shines!!! I wish I could get more of that in the photos.

I think NGC automatically photographs them now. Look up the coin using NGC's coin verification feature. I'd bet they'd have a better photograph.

NGC only photographs coins if requested. As the fee is nominal and very fair I see no reason not to have coins imaged.

NGC photos all coins now.

*edit* The quality of these photos isn't the greatest. It is solely for slab authenticating measures.

Exactly.There are photos of this slab at NGC's site but they are baaad.