• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Liberty Half

7 posts in this topic

I think that it has been cleaned, and it has a small rim nick at 7 k on the obverse. I think that the reverse would grade, but the obverse has to come with it. I don't think that it's worth slabbing.

I've noticed eye appeal problems with this type. (1873-4 with arrows). Many coins have been cleaned, and some of the Mint State examples I've seen had indifferent luster and a lack of "pizzazz." I think that you should continue your search.

1874halfdollarO.jpg1874halfdollarR.jpg

Although this is not TomB’s type of coin, I’m pleased with this piece, which is in a PCGS MS-63 holder. It has been dipped, but it pleased me enough to add it to my collection. I have to say that by the time I got to these with arrows coins from the 1870s I was suffering from “Seated Liberty Type Coin Fatigue.” For that reason I didn’t have the motivation to find the world’s greatest example.

The coin looks like it was dipped and has re toned , I do not think that in itself would bag the coin. Details wise it looks like you have at least an Au 50 . It is hard to tell from the pictures if anything was done to alter the surface. The small rim nick does not look like it would bag the coin either.

I would send it in , these coins are worth good money especially in AU and better grades.

I think that if one were to swirl this coin under the light that you might find some hairlines on it going a pattern. The coin has a dull, flat cleaned look to it on the obverse.