• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another new Walker - 1943

15 posts in this topic

This gorgeous beauty showed up yesterday, and I just had to make her mine. The reverse pics didn't quite turn out as well as I would like, they will be going back to the drawing board. They pick up the gorgeous color well, but don't show the strong luster.

Give a guess to the grade, comments, and such, and I'll reveal the grade later :)

This will probably be the last one before I get my tax refund. I've run out of money!

92879.jpg.2c7b5800eee93ced06cc55fe38d1a755.jpg

92880.jpg.4290dbff5964999aded92c7ecbf38db9.jpg

The reverse is a little overlit and this obscures the breast feathers, but the color looks completely original and that thumb is pretty darn nice. I like the coin.

Jason-----Let us turn this around a bit. Instead of you asking me questions, let me ask you one. It might be quite telling----depending on your answer.

Suppose you only had enough money to either buy this 43 coin----or the 17D Obverse coin. Suppose there was "NO" where that you could go to get additional funds. And, suppose that neither owner would hold the coin for you. In other words, you simply had to pick one of these two coins to own. WHICH ONE DO YOU KEEP?? Think on it a bit before you answer if you need to do this. Bob [supertooth]

I like this coin a lot , solid MS 65 with a good strike . A couple of nicks in the obverse field and the mark on liberties leg probably kept this one from grading MS 66 but I would not be surprised if you posted that the grade was an MS 66. What type of lighting are you using ?

What type of lighting are you using ?

I use three halogen lights. I just have to play around with this one a bit more, and find the right balance between color and luster. I'm still getting the hang of photo-ing Walkers, so it will take a few more before I feel comfortable with them.

Bob, that is a very tough question. Both coins are superb (both coins did get the "supertooth seal of approval", after all ;) ). I think, just from my limited experience, that if I could only have one of them I would probably go with the 1917D Obv. That coin seems to be unsurpassed quality for the grade, and unbelievably scarce. The '43, while superb, seems to be a much easier coin to find with original surfaces, well struck, and all the qualities I desire. I might not find a coin this attractive as easily, but it would be much easier to replace than the 17D.

Jason----Great answer. You have taken several giant steps forward in a very short span of time.

There would be some that would argue with your decision to keep the 17D Obverse coin. Many folks just like the higher graded coins and that is their priviledge. Others would fall in love with the toning on that 43 coin. That would be another point that would be well taken into account.

But, you made the right choice IMHO. WHY?? Because, although the 43 coin is a "super coin", it can be replaced----indeed with some amount of looking.

But, to find that nice a 17D Obv. coin in an XF45----with the color that the coin has----well, it is more than a tough find. Very, very nicely done Jason. Bob [supertooth]

I have trouble getting a good picture on some of my walkers as well.

Certain parts of my coin may appear out of focus . I may take 50 pictures of a coin with different angles , macro settings and lighting and still not be happy.

I was using two OTT lights , as of this week I will now use three.

Bob, I didn't want to answer for Jason regarding your first question in this post, but my answer was about as automatic and uncontrollable as is breathing. hm

TomB----Yes, I sort of just wanted to test the waters as it were----to make sure how Jason felt.

He's like a fireman in training. Trying to climb the ladder 2 or 3 steps at a time. So far, he really is doing remarkably well. In the process, I think that we are also helping others. And, that's always a plus. As always, thanks for your timely input. Take care. Bob

This one is graded PCGS MS-66, and I bought it from Mark Feld (my first coin from him). I think the lower grade guesses are do to my pictures - in hand, its all there.

Mark sells outstanding coins . As I said in my original post I am not at all surprised it graded MS 66 especially after looking at the photo on marks web site. I hope you don't mind that I posted it .

Footnote - the strike on this coin a really strong , look at the thumb !!

Jason you are lucky I already have a 1943 , otherwise I may have bought this one before you did :grin:

92917.jpg.1fa51348e478fa7d08e4b5ddf5c94665.jpg