• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1873 3CN

45 posts in this topic

Go with the express tier and make the roundtrip in a week... Good for value to 10k...

I might just do that. What would this thing be worth if it came back as a MS-66? (almost impossible, I know).

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/CensusDetail.aspx?PrintOrder=3556&IDCoins=13739

At 66, It would be top pop and looks like also the sole coin at that grade for the open 3 variety, so an absolutely monumental occurance if obtained... If you believe it is has what it takes, go for the gusto and do it right... Worst case your out 50 bucks and some shipping, learn a thing or two, and have a cool story to tell.

She's being submitted sometime next week. I'm having a couple of dealers take a peek at her first over the weekend and on Tuesday.

Depending on what they tell me, I'll likely go for the gusto and use the expedited route. I'd love to have a great story to tell... even if I lose sleep over it in the meantime... lol.

i think from the photos only and yes in hand might be different

but i think from the photos it will come back

in a holder ms-65 grade

a really nice 65 in terms of grade and also in terms of eye appeal

Thanks for everyone's comments and encouragement. Much appreciated!

Does ANACS produce their own population charts? If one wanted to produce an aggregate pop chart, based on all of the grading services, how would it be done? We believe no MS-66 copies exist, but how many total 64's and 65's?

I'll be showing the coin to some dealers at a show on Sunday, and then to a local dealer (who's an expert at counterfeit detection) on Tuesday. Then she's off to be graded soon thereafter. I'll post an update after Tuesday.

Does ANACS produce their own population charts?

Yes, they do, BUT, this has been a subject of discussion on the VAMWorld site because many of the VAMmers submit to ANACS since they certify all VAM's, not just the Top 100 and Hot 50. The problem the VAMmers have raised is that the pop charts have not been updated for a few years, and they are questioning the accuracy of them.

Chris

Does ANACS produce their own population charts? If one wanted to produce an aggregate pop chart, based on all of the grading services, how would it be done? We believe no MS-66 copies exist, but how many total 64's and 65's?

I'll be showing the coin to some dealers at a show on Sunday, and then to a local dealer (who's an expert at counterfeit detection) on Tuesday. Then she's off to be graded soon thereafter. I'll post an update after Tuesday.

I agree with you on having the coin pre screened before you submit it .

I met with a dealer today who is a former grader... he thinks it's a very nice coin, but believes that the darkened area around the three in the date and the flat overall luster will likely hold it back from a MS-65 holder. H really liked the coin otherwise. My guess, based on his comments, is that it will probably come back as a 63/64 with 65 still as a possible longshot.

I left the coin with the dealer and he'll submit later this week. I didn't ask for 48-hour service, so it will be awhile before I know the results. I'll post them when I do. Thanks to everyone for all of your opinions and insight!

I met with a dealer today who is a former grader... he thinks it's a very nice coin, but believes that the darkened area around the three in the date and the flat overall luster will likely hold it back from a MS-65 holder. H really liked the coin otherwise. My guess, based on his comments, is that it will probably come back as a 63/64 with 65 still as a possible longshot.

I left the coin with the dealer and he'll submit later this week. I didn't ask for 48-hour service, so it will be awhile before I know the results. I'll post them when I do. Thanks to everyone for all of your opinions and insight!

Good Luck :wishluck:

congrats on the grade and from the photos ;sight seen could be different looks like a super pq+ ms 63

and i think the services "in general" have toughened up as of late but there are many exceptions to that rule

The coin came back as:

PCGS MS-63.

Most people who I showed the coin to thought it would grade MS-64, but it must be tough at the grading services these days!

MS 63 is still good. Remember we are all guessing a grade based on a photo.