• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1873 3CN

45 posts in this topic

Great Example!! I would say MS64 maybe MS65!! Open 3

Here is a closed 3 NGC MS65

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1136&Lot_No=435

Thanks for sharing that link! Geez, mine looks comparable, maybe even better in places? These inexperienced grading eyes just don't know though...

Is mine the open 3?

Thanks for sharing that link! Geez, mine looks comparable, maybe even better in places? These inexperienced grading eyes just don't know though...

Is mine the open 3?

Yes Open 3

The only thing maybe holding if back from NGC MS65 is the lack of detail in the first roman numeral.

Is mine the open 3?

Yes Open 3

The only thing maybe holding if back from NGC MS65 is the lack of detail in the first roman numeral.

So is that just the result of a weak strike in that part of the coin?

Is mine the open 3?

Yes Open 3

Here is a larger image (not nearly as pretty) taken of the reverse while the coin was still in its holder.

IMG_3522.JPG

I've found that harsh lighting (particularly from camera flash) has a huge impact on how a good (or bad) a coin looks.

Wow, MS-66 seems awfully high. Is there a population report for this issue? There can't be too many graded that high. I'd hope for MS-64, and would be in heaven if MS-65. Here's a larger photo of the obverse:

IMG_3527.JPG

Also, can anyone tell from photos whether a coin has been "whizzed?" Any chance of that with this one? I should expect a bit more luster for a MS-65/66 coin? Do all of the surfaces look original? Thanks!

Here is an MS64 that I recently bought.

18653CN.jpg

Mine is just about as mark free as yours but mine has a carbon spot on the reverse and not near as much luster as yours.

NGC pops show 12 total 66s for 1873. But the top pop of the open 3 is 65.

If this coin is as flashy and mark free as your pictures show I bet yours hits 66.

Thanks for sharing your MS-64 example... it's a VERY nice coin in its own right!

I've never submitted a coin before. That begs the question, do I stand a better chance of getting a MS-66 through NGC or through that "other" grading service? Are we even allowed to talk about such things in this forum? Sorry for the naive questions!

After all of the great feedback I just know that I probably need to submit it somewhere...

This coin does not appear to be Whizzed . I see something in the right reverse field , could be a planchet flaw or something else. This coin looks like it have nice details .I think you have at least a MS 64 as long as the mark of the reverse does not BB the coin.

Assuming there are no hidden problems that we can not see from the photo I say at least MS 64 . My only concern is what appears to be a planchet flaw on the reverse. I do not think this would hold the coin back from a grade.

Does anyone have access to a NGC population report for this coin? I've yet to see a MS-66 listed specimen anywhere. None at Heritage auctions, for example.

I'd be thrilled to have the only MS-66 piece in existence, But I'd also be very happy with a MS-65 grade, and probably walk away satisfied at MS-64 instead of genuine.

I still keep thinking that something is wrong, that it's not a real coin, and that it will come back in a body bag.

Thanks for the data, Ray... I have a pop report for Spring (2009) from the "other" grading service, and it breaks out the grading for the Open 3 like this:

MS-63 (12)

MS-64 (22)

MS-65 (11)

MS-66 (0)

So, there appears to be no MS-66s in existence? Graders must be "tough" on this little bugger! I'd be elated to get MS-65 out of it.

from the "other" grading service,

Its ok, you can say PCGS here. They won't ban you on this board unless you are downright overly rude or only come on here to spout anti NGC banter or anything else moraly unacceptible. lol

Here is the breakdown for the open 3 in NGCs census.

63--8

64--22

65--7

66--0

As far as your previous question as to which service to send your coins to...

Some people would like to believe that NGC is not as conservative as PCGS but in my experiance this only partialy true. On some series it seems that NGC is more conservative and on some it seems to be the other way around but on most they are about the same. I bet you would get the same grade from both companys on this one.

Some people will tell you that PCGS coins sell for more in the long run and this is true in a lot of cases but I personaly submit coins to NGC as I think they are a much more customer and hobby orientated buissines and PCGS seems to be more money orientated.

from the "other" grading service,

Some people will tell you that PCGS coins sell for more in the long run and this is true in a lot of cases but I personaly submit coins to NGC as I think they are a much more customer and hobby orientated buissines and PCGS seems to be more money orientated.

Agreed!

The surfaces look strangly granular....Maybe just an artifact of the camera.

I've noticed the same thing... I need to take a photo today of a 1865 3CN I have which is AU. Maybe we can glean something from comparing them side-by-side. I hope this isn't a very well executed counterfeit. This coin was so seemingly perfect (to my eyes) when I saw it online that the first thing I asked the seller was "is it real?"

Also, on the obverse, is there "double-striking" of some of the lettering? Particularly in the letters in the word UNITED? Would that have any affect on grading?

Ray--thanks again for all of the pop data. Not many of these things around, or just a lack of interest in the series. Would we call this a condition rarity? What do the R numbers mean that I see people quoting? Thanks!

Also, on the obverse, is there "double-striking" of some of the lettering? Particularly in the letters in the word UNITED? Would that have any affect on grading?

This is known as "Longacre doubling" It is an artifact of the way dies were made back then and gives no premium to the value or grading.

Ray--thanks again for all of the pop data. Not many of these things around, or just a lack of interest in the series. Would we call this a condition rarity? What do the R numbers mean that I see people quoting? Thanks!

I would imagine that the number of collectors that collect 3CN by date and die variety are probably pretty small. So more common dates with a higher population of high grade coins would be slabbed for type collectors who will mostly buy the more common dates in any given type, to be able to get the best grade for the money.

I think I just confused myself. lol

I think it's easily MS64 with a shot at MS65. If it comes back MS66 you won the lottery!

If this thing came back as a 66 I'd throw a virtual party here... :applause:

My "guess" is that it will come back as genuine or MS-64.

I've never submitted a coin before, but I'm probably going to submit it sometime next week and I'm going to consider paying a little more for expedited service. With standard service I'd be waiting until the end of February or sometime early in March before I'd know the coin's fate...

I am quite certain that the time spent waiting is going to kill me! :mad: