• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1938 Lincoln

23 posts in this topic

Well the coin looks great but there are two spots on the reverse:

1st the N in cent, looks like it is dented

2nd is the O in One, looks like a little scratch.

I think the coin is a easy 66 so it has a numismedia value of $40.00 and they usually sell for $30 on eBay.

You might get MS67 which brings the numismedia value to $140.00 and they usually sell for $90 on ebay.

Wow, I had no idea it could grade as high as MS-67.

Are you guys serious?

I thought maybe MS-66, but like I've mentioned I'm not an experienced grader.

100% serious at MS 67

Nice photos

Wow, I had no idea it could grade as high as MS-67.

Are you guys serious?

I thought maybe MS-66, but like I've mentioned I'm not an experienced grader.

100% serious at MS 67

Nice photos

Thanks for your high opinion of the coin and compliments!

I've never submitted a coin before. That begs the question, do I stand a better chance of getting a MS-67 through NGC or through that "other" grading service? Are we even allowed to talk about such things in this forum? Sorry for the naive questions!

Just like with the 3CN, after all of the great feedback I just know that I probably need to submit it somewhere... The anticipation of a "grade" (whatever it ends up being) is now killing me!

Unless you need it certified for some particular reason, such as for a registry MS-67 piece, there really isn't a major price difference between 66 and 67 for the '38 (regardless of what NumisMedia lists them for, $40 and $137.50 respectively, I've tracked eBay compiling a price guide of high grade red Lincolns and I've seen several 1938's from PCGS and NGC in MS-67RD for as little as $70 with most around $90, and the 66's are around $35-50.)

Cheers,

L1nconF4n

PS still a nice pickup!

Thanks for the great information... I wouldn't be submitting it for the money (now, that 3CN piece is a whole different animal).

It might be the only MS-67 coin that I'll own, unless I buy one of the examples that you mention.

I'm also just curious about the submitting/grading process, as I've never done it before.

For my submissions I tend to go to my local dealer, who generally sends something off every or every other week. That way you save on shipping and insurance costs, instead paying a small cut ($5 or so for me). Expect to have your coin back in 2 months, allowing time for shipping in there.

Perhaps someone with a paid NGC membership could check their site directly for the pop reports. I just rechecked the pop reports given by Heritage Auctions to see if I wrote them down wrong and I didn't. They give pop reports for both PCGS and NGC coins. The value given for an MS65 is less than the cost of the grading fees. Maybe that could account for the low number for that grade or maybe the number is just incorrect. Anyway, hopefully someone will post the numbers directly from the NGC site.

Very nice looking Lincoln cent and I'm guessing it might grade MS67. Good luck.

Anyone submitting is seeking a 67 or 68 and registry coin(NGC has certified no 68s per current data), so anything but a 67 is a fail - Accordingly, those submitting are fairly confident that it's a high quality coin (there are 2-63s and 18-64s submitted by the utterly clueless)

(there are 2-63s and 18-64s submitted by the utterly clueless)

Not always!! I have a dime that I submitted because it was toned and it came back

PF64....the lowest in the pop report. Some times the coin means more then what NGC put on the label.

Thanks for information everyone... it all makes sense!

So, I need to be very confident that the coin will score 67 or better. Right now I'm on the fence. I might fall off or I might be pushed to the other side. I'll decide next week when I submit that 3CN. Thanks again everyone!

(there are 2-63s and 18-64s submitted by the utterly clueless)

Not always!! I have a dime that I submitted because it was toned and it came back

PF64....the lowest in the pop report. Some times the coin means more then what NGC put on the label.

Agreed - There can always be extenuating circumstances, unique look, coin carried or owned by a deceased relative, won in a wager, ouija board said you should, because you want a single sample of every single grade possible for a given date/series, etc..:) But I'll still contend the vast majority of those were either ill guaged submissions and/or someone just needed one more to meet a minimum number to submit...

I met with a dealer today who used to be a grader. He showed me what appears (what he thinks) to be the faintest vestiges of a fingerprint which he feels "might" cost me a point in grading. (You really can't see it in the photos, but it's on the obverse in the right field directly across from Lincoln's eyes).

In my estimation, based on all of the available input (including the opinions expressed here), that probably moves the coin from the 66/67 range down to the 65/66 range. I still love the coin, but I probably won't send her in. Oh well, worse things in life happen!